Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Relocating from Fort Worth to Seattle around the first of August

Hi,
    We're heading to Seattle in a couple of weeks. Movers will be taking the big stuff. My husband, myself and our two dogs will be taking advantage of the opportunity to see some of our beautiful country as we embark on our new journey. I would ideally like to do it driving roughly about 12-16 hours a day, including stops for gas, food, and to stretch our legs, and maybe a detour or two. What would be the most scenic route while staying mostly on the highways.
    Wondering what would be the best overnight locations to stop and if my timeframe is realistic.
    The car has been checked out by the dealer/service and will be changing my "texas" tires for some all weather tires so my car can handle the Seattle weather. Anything I've missed?
    Thanks in advance!
    Randi

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Let me start by staying that 12-16 hours a day of driving isn't really a safe or realistic pace, and certainly at that kind of pace you're not leaving yourself any time to actually see or enjoy anything extra along the way. Think of it this way, if you have to work a 12-16 hour day, are you at your best at the end of it? What if you had to work several 12-16 hour days in a row, at the end of it, would you really be in any condition to have fun, much less operate a 2 ton machine at 70 mph?

So having said that, how much time do you actually have for this trip? I suspect if you are having movers take your stuff, then there is no need for that rushed of a pace. Afterall, the professional drivers who will be moving it are forbidden by law from driving as many hours a day as you would like too!

Any other information about what kinds of things you'd like to see or do would also be very helpful.

As far as tires, the weather in Seattle is typically rain, not snow, and from that perspective, your "texas tires" should be ok even if they are just summer treads. There's certainly nothing wrong with switching to an all-season which could still be useful in winter, but if this trip is in a couple of weeks (or anytime in the summer), and assuming your current tires are in good condition, then I'd see no reason to rush out and change tires.

Some 2100 miles and I also suggest not to drive that long each day. Via Amarillo-Denver-Salt lake City-Boise. I'd take I70/us6 between Denver and Salt Lake City. I70 is very scenic rather than I80. More or less on your way is Moab with great NPs like Canyonlands and Arches. East op Portland is Columbia River Gorge worth a visit.

4. Default

Thank you both, I really appreciate you opinions. I've decided on the route through amarillo, Salt Lake city, etc. Going to plan on about 10 hour driving days with stops along the way. (BTW, I do work 3 twelve hour days in a row, and you're right, I'm pretty wiped out by the end of that work week! While I need to get there, I also want to be safe AND have a reasonably enjoyable trip.

You still didn't answer the much bigger question of how much time you have for the trip.

10 hours is a reasonable pace, but still doesn't leave much time for extra detours or the enjoyable stops you've said you're interested in. I suspect that there's no reason you'd even need to go that quickly, based on how long it typically takes moving companies to haul your stuff.

6. Default

Oops, I missed that part. Well, realistically, about 4-5 days. I need to keep my expenses down (hotel costs) and take a couple of days to figure out what I'm actually going to attempt to take in my car. Though my husband is going to travel with me, he will be coming back home to finalize things with his job, supervise the movers, etc. Basically we have different start dates on our new Jobs in the Seattle area.

Default Reasonably comfortable.

Four days should be quite comfortable, with 5 allowing more time for sight seeing. An alternative route would be to cut across close to the Four corners area. With a good first day under your belt you could get to Santa Fe in under 12 hours with rest breaks along the way. Day 2 you could take it easier and head to Moab UT via Durango and perhaps have a quick look around Arches NP and then split the rest of your journey to Seattle with a stop around Boise. With an extra day you could do a little more sight seeing, but that would depend on your interests as to what route to take.

Taking the fastest route, you are looking at 4 days driving 10 hours a day with normal stops. If you want to do any kind of extra sightseeing, you will need that 5th day.

My software shows the fastest route is in fact 2100 miles - via Amarillo to Raton, then I-25/I-80/I-84/I-82/I-90. Staying on I-25 to I-90 adds 50 miles.

9. Default

What software do you use? When I use Google maps, it has me taking550 out of albuquerque (from 25), then 160 to 491, to 191, etc...on to Salt Lake City. Looks like smaller roads through the mountains, etc. Your thoughts? Can you give me details on your suggested route? Just when i think I have it figured out... Ugh

I use Microsoft Streets & Trips.

I see what Google is doing - that's about 30 miles shorter. However, in the real world, it's probably an hour or two longer. It's definitely more scenic and gives you the opportunity, time permitting, to see quite a few natural wonders and tourist attractions - Mesa Verde, Arches, and Canyonlands being the 3 biggest. The roads are generally pretty decent. Durango is one of my favorite small cities.

This can still be done in 4 days, but that wouldn't give you any time to actually explore any of the attractions.