1. Default Las Vegas driving - suggested routes

Myself and 3 friends will be arriving in Vegas on Sep 1st for a week. We have a couple of drives to do during the week and I wondered if anybody had any suggestions on routes and suggested stops?

1. Las Vegas strip to El Tovar Grand Canyon
    2. El Tovar Grand Canyon to Best Western Grand hotel Bryce Canyon
    3. Bryce Canyon back to the strip via Hoover Dam/Boulder City

Default Hoover dam from Vegas ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

I would actually visit the Hoover dam on the way to GC and from Bryce, head back via Zion NP and I15 to Vegas. Have you a week for the road trip, or are you planning 3 days ?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The logical route from Vegas to the Grand Canyon actually goes right past the Hoover Dam, so you'd want to do that at the start of your trip, not the end.

As far as routes go, looking at a map will show the pretty obvious choices, as there aren't a lot of extra options.

From Vegas to the Grand Canyon, you take US-93 down to I-40, and then back north at Williams.
    From the GC to Bryce, you'll head out to the east, and then head straight up Highway 89.
    Back to Vegas, your best bet would be to head down US-89 to UT-9 through Zion National Park and back to I-15.

4. Default

Thanks Dave. We have a week in Vegas. Our stays are below.

Sep 1: Arrive and check in at the four seasons
    Sep 2: Drive to the Grand Canyon and we have an overnight at El Tovar
    Sep 3: Drive to Bryce Canyon and stay 2 nights at Best Western Grand Hotel
    Sep 5: Drive back to the strip - which is why we were thinking stop off at hoover dam on the way there. I was thinking that way we spend more time at the Grand Canyon on Sep 2 as we only have 1 day there.
    Sep 5: Stay at the Mandarin Oriential until we leave on Sat 8th Sep.

We originally had big ideas about driving all over the place, but coming from the UK which fits into Nevada multiple times, we slightly underestimated the size of the place!

I've been once before, but only stayed on the stip for 3 days and had a brief trip to the Grand Canyon when I was a lot younger. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the nature side this time. Although there's some really cool stuff to do when we stay on the stip.

5. Default

Cheers. I've been using the route planner which is really useful and you can check out some of the things on the way. Snow Cap Diner sounds fun to eat at.

Default Nature. Zion is quite amazing.

We originally had big ideas about driving all over the place, but coming from the UK which fits into Nevada multiple times, we slightly underestimated the size of the place!
    That's easily done, and is done so by many ! ;-)

Sep 5: Drive back to the strip - which is why we were thinking stop off at hoover dam on the way there. I was thinking that way we spend more time at the Grand Canyon on Sep 2 as we only have 1 day there.
    I understand what you are saying, but it will take almost twice as long to head back to Vegas via Hoover dam then it will head through Zion to I15. It's actually quicker to go back to the Hoover dam via 115 through Vegas and back to Vegas. It wouldn't leave you time enough to visit both though.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the nature side this time.
    Given this statement, if possible I would visit Hoover dam as a day trip from Vegas. If you don't want to rent a car while there, I would choose Zion NP over Hoover dam any day tbh, and the drive into Zion from Bryce via the Mount Carmel tunnel is spectacular ! If you do rent a vehicle while in Vegas you might also consider a day trip to Death valley from there, afterall Vegas really comes alive at night.

If you want to see the Hoover Dam, the only place it really makes sense is to do it on your way to GC. Keep in mind, you can really make it a pretty quick stop. Doing it anywhere else on your trip means you're just going to spend a couple hours driving the same roads multiple times.

Since you've got 2 nights planned at Bryce, I think you should be fine on time anyway. If you don't get your fill of the Canyon on the 2nd, you can still spend several hours there on the 3rd before heading north, and even if you arrive a bit late, you'd still have a full day to enjoy Bryce before making the trip back to Vegas.

How much do you actually want to do at Bryce? There is only one road in and out, and to see a movie at the visitor's center and drive down to the end, stopping at each viewpoint for a few minutes on the way back out will only take you about 3 hours. Any other activities there will involve some hiking. Unless you do want to hike down into the canyon, it's a very easy and efficient park to see. Hiking can be quite strenuous, the park is around 8000 to 9000 feet altitude.

I think I'm trying to suggest that you take some time away from Bryce and dedicate it to the Grand Canyon, it takes a considerably longer time to see. Efficiency really does dictate that you see Hoover Dam on the way to the GC.