1. Default Coastal New England

My husband and I are taking our first real road trip in August and we are planning on doing Coastal New England. We live in NJ and will be driving from there, but don't plan on stopping anywhere until at least CT. I have seen so many options on this route that I don't even know where to begin. I definitely want to get to Maine and the Cape. I've always dreamed of going to Nantucket, but don't think it interests my husband (is it worthwhile?). We are in our 30's and adventurous. We love to eat (anything and everything) and are very active. We'd love to stay places that are different, unique (maybe B&Bs), but would really stay anywhere (Marriott to Super 8). I'd love to hear everyone's advice!

Tucson, AZ

Default Let's Narrow It Down a Bit

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There are a mere 6,000 miles of 'coastline' in New England, according to estimates by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. So your chances of covering even a major portion of that are nonexistent. You're going to have to pick and choose what you get to. So let me give you just a few of my favorite waterfront venues in that region.

Connecticut: Mystic, yes it's a bit touristy, but you can still get the flavor of a real New England seaport town. There's a great little homemade ice cream shop right on the western shore of the Mystic River on US-1, Mystic Seaport, the 'original' Mystic Pizza, and Abbott's in Noank for lobster.

Rhode Island: Consider taking the ferry from Point Judith to Block Island instead of fighting the crowds to Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. You won't need the car for a day trip if you're comfortable with a rented bicycle. Newport is great not only for a tour of one or two of the 'Cottages' but the drive in over the bridges from the west is spectacular.

Massachusetts. Cape Cod is on everyone's list and that's the problem, There are only a couple of roads onto/off of the Cape, and limited lodgings. If you go, spend as much time as possible in the Cape Cod National Seashore and, again, if you go to one of the offshore islands, leave the car on the mainland. My own preference for a Cape visit in Massachusetts is Cape Ann which is north of Boston, much smaller and without the beaches, but it does have Gloucester and Rockport.

New Hampshire. Limited coastline, but Odiorne Point is a combination rocky coast and nature preserve. Strawbery Banke in Portsmouth is a refurbished portion of the old seaport that is now a living history museum.

Maine. For the picture that shouts 'Maine' head for the Nubble in Cape Neddick. For an historic site try Colonial Pemaquid in New Harbor. For another offshore possibility, there's Isle au Haut which is part of Acadia National Park.