1. Default Missouri to Grand Canyon, other sites to visit

Next May-June (2013) we plan on taking our family on a road trip from Missouri to the Grand Canyon and possibly even further. We'll have as much time as we want for this trip, though we'd like to keep it under three weeks. I'd prefer to just get up and go and not worry about making reservations anywhere since we don't know when we'll be stopping at each place. We've been to Oklahoma several times so we don't plan on stopping unless something catches our eye. I'd like information on other sites to see on the way to the Grand Canyon.

We have a lot of places on our list of things to see already, but I know the best places come from people who have already been there. So far we plan on stopping at (in no particular order): Cadillac Ranch, Four Corners Monument, Petrified Forest, Hoover Dam, Winslow, AZ, Rockhound State Park, Canyonlands National Park, Monument Valley, Natural Bridges Monument, Barringer Meteorite Crater, Sunset Crater, and Arches National Park.

We really enjoy History (I have to stop at every Historical marker I see on the road) and being outdoors. The kids will be 9 and 4 they like dinosaurs and in general anything that has to do with the outdoors. We plan to take a route through Utah, Colorado and Kansas on the way home so that we can experience as much as possible on this trip.

I know this trip is a long ways off, but it will be the longest road trip we've attempted and I don't want to get home and discover I was right by something spetacular and missed it. Any help is appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Kid friendly.

Hi, Welcome to the The Great American RoadTrip Forum.

You sure look like you have a handle on designing your trip. Three weeks will be a nice amount of time - not too rushed.

Travelling without reservations usually works well for those of us who are inclined that way. However, should you wish to stay within the National Parks at the Grand Canyon (highly recommended), you will need to book ahead. Accommodation within the park fills up quickly, so check the NP website to see when the bookings open.

I would also book wherever you will be over Memorial Day weekend. Traditionally a very busy weekend.

You may like to look into the Junior Ranger program at the National Parks. These programs, run by Rangers, are of great value to help the young ones understand and appreciate the National Parks... and they're free.

There are quite few other places of note in the area in which you will be travelling, among them Bryce NP, Zion NP, Mesa Verda, Capital Reef, to name just a few. But be aware, you can't see/do it all, no matter how much time you have.

Those places you missed, those places you passed by without knowing, they are a reality. They are what make the backbone (and excuse) for another trip. Some places I have visited multiple times, only to learn weeks or months later that I was right near a place of interest, and didn't know. In a country so rich with attractions it's almost inevitable.

Enjoy the planning.

Default You Might Check Out These

If you're going to do Monument Valley, Natural Bridges and Arches, here's some things you might want to check out:

Dead Horse State Park is in the Moab/Arches/Canyonlands area.

Goosenecks is a few miles noth or Mexican Hat off Utah 261.

Moki Dugway is along Utah 261 between Mexican Hat and Natural Bridges.

You might also find this useful in zeroing in on what you want to see: A Journey Through Utah In Pictures. This is an indirect link to my personal photos at Photo Bucket.

Have A Great Trip!!