1. Default Lake George NY to Vt to NH to Canada? to Maine to Mass back to Lake George

Geez, no summer itineraries to New England when the leaves are green and the kids are off? I tried finding an itinerary with the below points but I am turning to you, my dear resource.

I seek everyone’s help again for kid-friendly tips for ages 16, 13, 10.

We love:
    baseball, hockey,
    natural beauty, quirky local flavor,
    history and science, and
    comfort –that is, we are not campers or extreme-adventurers, and..
    not that we can afford luxury-- but a very occasional splurge is possible.
    Now, if we are passing through a college town, we slow down and take note.

I like having everything figured out beforehand: for each road trip I make binders with web printouts, maps, suggested detours and restaurants.

In our quest to cover as many of the 50 states before the big guy goes to college, we have decided to hit New England. As it is close to home, we have long neglected this part of the country. I am usually planning for my annual road trip in April but life changes this year

What underlies our planning:

-We try to keep driving down to 3-5 hours a day.
    -We spend at least 1-2 nights at a stop.
    -We have 16 days in August.
    -Bringing our Garmin car navigator.

Here is my rough sketch:
    We are starting from Lake George.
    I'd like to try somewhere in VT and spend 1-2 nights in NH.
    Next, onto Maine- would like to try to reach the coast??
    Then, up to Canada, or skip that and
    head down to Mass, where husband and kids want to try Salem.
    Then, stop somewhere, I guess in Mass,
    and back to Lake George.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Familiar scenario.

Hi, and Welcome to the The Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Your story will sound familiar to many - we often overlook the places close to home in favour of the (perceived) more exotic places far away. For me, I spend a good deal of my time with family in MA but have to admit, have not travelled a great deal north from there. ME is one of two States which I have not yet visited. So I am not the best to help you with any detail. Just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

However, I am sure that someone who knows the area intimately will be along soon to give you the advice for which you are looking. Meanwhile, you may like to collect and peruse some paper maps of the States you mention (AAA is a great resource). These will often have details which will spur your imagination to check out further. Besides that, it is not wise to rely solely on electronics. Paper maps are an essential for any roadtrip. Get the teenagers to do this research for you. It will develop in their map reading skills.

Tucson, AZ

Default My Old Stomping Grounds

I used to live in New England and, together with a couple of other 'locals', have written often about some of the wonderful attractions in that neck of the woods. Just a couple of additional motes for your specific trip. I would, in fact, do Canada first by going up through Montréal and the Eastern Townships before heading down into Vermont and then New Hampshire. Waiting until you've already done northern New England before heading north of the border and then doing southern New England just involves way too much backtracking to be practicable.

Summer is not the season for hockey, but baseball will be in full swing with everything from the majors (the Red Sox - but tickets will be somewhere between very expensive and impossible), AAA (the Pawtucket [RI] Sox), AA (Portland ME and Manchester NH), even A Short Season (Burlington VT and Lowell MA). Personally, and especially with children, I find the lower minor leagues the more rewarding - and certainly more affordable - experience.

I actually visited Salem just last year and it is a relatively accessible and easily walked city. But there is so much more to it than the 'Witch Trials'. First, you need to know that the 17th century trials actually took place in what today is Danvers. They changed their name to avoid the noteriety. What Salem should be famous for is its history as a seaport. It is, in fact, home to the Salem Maritime National Historic Site and there are a few walking tours of the old harbor, captains' homes. and the like.

For the drive home from the Boston area, you'd be hard pressed to do better than taking the Mohawk Trail (MA-2) west through Massachusetts, across the Berkshires, and then back up the Hudson Valley on US-4 with a stop at the Saratoga National Historical Park if you haven't visited it already.

Last edited by AZBuck; 07-19-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Joplin MO

Note that if you want to go to Canada, you will need passports.

5. Default

The 16yo needs a passport! The younger kids just need birth certificates. I thought about getting the big guy an enhanced learner's permit which should let us drive in, but we only have partial residence in NYS so I haven't gotten up the nerve yet to try. So, while the rest of us have the means to get into Canada, we probably won't go.

Thanks, azbuck (who has posted a very helpful answer on every question I have ever posted on RTA). We have enjoyed some minor league games locally but the quest is for the majors. I have found some excellent ticket deals on eBay and when googling the name of the team and "discount code.". Our last road trip was in the Midwest, where we saw 5 teams. After that, Husband said he was done with funding the quest!

I am going to research further, including aaa. Pls post if you have experiences or ideas!

Joplin MO

For tickets to sports venues, I think I'd trust Stubhub before I'd trust Ebay. I use them to get tickets to St. Louis Cardinals games, and I get to download and print the tickets almost instantly.

7. Default itinerary for colonies northeastern new england

Referencing this is an old thread, I am trying to quickly plan out a trip, starting this weekend, as follows. In ignorance of history, I post possible stops. I need historical suggestions:

starting at Lake George, NY
    VT (Trapp Family Lodge and nearby Waterbury but I could skip that)
    ME (Portland-- I mapped this out on AAA. Is it really best to go south from VT away from NH?)
    ME Kennebunkport (first or second in ME? assuming no other stops)
    NH (Portsmouth)
    MA (Salem, Concord, Lexington)
    RI? (where?)
    VT (Bennington)
    Lake George

I'd rather not drive more than 3-5 hours a day. I've got 3 kids, 10-16 and a hubby.

Later, I'll be traveling to MD and was thinking of swinging into CT (where is good?) on the way down, so, should I save RI for that leg?

If I pack RI in the first trip, I'll take 14-15 days. If I add that to the 2nd trip, I'll take 12 days for the first trip.

Links, suggestions, experiences most appreciated!

Please keep all posts regarding this trip in one place. --Mod
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-25-2012 at 01:13 PM.

Tucson, AZ

Default Some More

I had given you some historic possibilities in my last post (q.v.), but here are some others. Certainly the Freedom Trail in Boston, but even if you don't do it all, visit Old North Church and the Paul Revere House. Kennebunkport can be a bit of a bear to get around - I think you'd do better by visiting the Nubble in Cape Neddick ME. Besides, there's a home-made ice cream stand on the peninsula. At least there was the last time I was there. Similarly, Concord and Lexington are pretty built up these days and while they're historic (My sister used to live just a few blocks from the Village Green in Lexington where the "shot heard 'round the world' was fired.) they don't 'look' particularly historic with all the tourists and busses. For a better feel of history, even though ersatz, try Plimoth Plantation in southeastern or Sturbridge Village in south-central Massachusetts.

To whet your appetite a bit for your later trips; In Rhode Island Newport is a must. You can have a very nice lunch in a restaurant that shares a building with the Lawn Tennis Hall of Fame and even sit courtside as you do so, but the 'Cottages' are the main attraction and worth the time to visit at least one or two. In Maryland, Fort McHenry of course, but also the Naval Academy in Annapolis. In fact Annapolis itself is a great walking/scenic/historic town. And be sure to cross the bridge onto the Eastern Shore, two highlights of which are the Maritime Museum in St. Michael's and the entire town of Chestertown.

Last edited by AZBuck; 07-25-2012 at 08:31 PM.