I am a travel nurse, and my next move is from NC to CA. My family (my man & my cat) only own enough stuff to fill our sedan. We are down sizing and mailing most of our stuff We have done all our trips on the east coast, from Plattsburgh NY to Sarasota FL, this is our first cross country trip, planned for early October.*
Our cat is a new addition, we have never done a raid trip with her, but we had a dog before, so we have some experience traveling with a pet.*
I read a few posts on this site (very helpful reality check!) and realized that 3 days may not be reasonable. We did Maryland to Florida in one day, but the cumulative effect of a trip three times as far did not seem as relevant as I now understand. *
I would like to hear advice on:
1. Time to allocate in terms of days. I have 12 days to get there, but more days on the road means more hotel stay$.
2. Time that would be added if we see the grand canyon.*
3. Best route (least boring, highest speed limits). Unfortunately, the man prefers to do 80% of the driving, while I navigate, DJ and prep snacks.
4. Long term car travel with an indoor cat.*
5. How much will we end up spending on gas, lodging and food? If we stick to bare minimum?