1. Default Carmel, Big Sur, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, San Francisco......fun roads wanted

Hi all,

My wife and I have finally booked our US road trip for my 40th birthday, and just looking for a bit of help to find fun "scenic" but also good "driving roads" on our trip..... don't want to spend the whole time on highways as we are gonna hire either a V8 Camaro or Challenger!!
    Plan is the following:
    Drive from San Francisco Airport to Carmel down along highway 1.
    Staying 2 nights in Carmel, so 1st day we intend to drive down and back some of Big Sur(how far should we go?), also intend to do the 17mile drive around Pebble beach, and some time on foot exploring Carmel and Monterey.
    Drive from Carmel to Yosemite(we are staying in Oakhurst for 2 nights), so up to glacier point after driving from Carmel(we'll leave quite early in morn), then back to Oakhurst. next day exploring Yosemite valley etc.
    Then drive from Yosemite to Lake Tahoe, via Tioga pass, mono lake, bodie and possibly monitor pass?
    Arrive late afternoon in Tahoe(south Lake tahoe) for again 2 nights.
    Leave Tahoe for San Francisco, driving around the west shore of the lake to head back to San Francisco, possibly via Napa Valley, again a long days driving but my wife and I are sharing the driving.
    We then drop the car off for 4 nights in San Francisco.
    I dont mind long drives if they are scenic or "fun"(preferably both).
    Any hints and tips on what not too miss either on the road, or when we are at our destinations would be greatly received!!!
    CAN'T WAIT!!!
    Cheers

Stu
    Last edited by AZBuck; 07-17-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: You may not use this forum to link to your personal website

Default Slightly Out of the Way, But

Here's a suggestion for the day you drive from Monterey to Yosemite. There are few roads in the world to compare with the PCH, but for simple driving pleasure one you should look at is county route G16 which heads inland from Carmel through Carmel Valley eventually emerging onto US-101. A side trip from this side trip would be Pinnacles National Monument. However, there is no way to get directly east from there so you would have to take US-101 south to CA-198 (another scenic road) to CA-33/CA-145 which lets you bypass Fresno on your way north to CA-41 and Yosemite.

AZBuck

Rather than go down to Big Sur and back to Carmel, do Big Sur on your way to Yosemite. Buck's suggestion of G16 is good, but you can go considerably farther south on the PCH to the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road. This takes you over the coastal range through Fort Hunter Liggett (open to the public). Take that to Mission Road, turn right, this will become Jolon Road (G-14) and go north to San Lucas Road. Turn right, and this will take you out to US-101 at San Lucas, where you can pick up CA-198 and follow Buck's suggestion.

Not as spectacular, but allows you to enjoy more of the PCH, would be to go all the way to Cambria, then CA-46 to CA-41 to Yosemite.

4. Default

CAR BOOKED!!!!! I've gone for.............Challenger R/T, should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Rather than go down to Big Sur and back to Carmel, do Big Sur on your way to Yosemite. Buck's suggestion of G16 is good, but you can go considerably farther south on the PCH to the Nacimiento-Fergusson Road. This takes you over the coastal range through Fort Hunter Liggett (open to the public). Take that to Mission Road, turn right, this will become Jolon Road (G-14) and go north to San Lucas Road. Turn right, and this will take you out to US-101 at San Lucas, where you can pick up CA-198 and follow Buck's suggestion.

Not as spectacular, but allows you to enjoy more of the PCH, would be to go all the way to Cambria, then CA-46 to CA-41 to Yosemite.
    TOTALLY AGREE with Naciemento Fergusson Road! This is a hidden gem that is well worth the drive. I used to drive it when it wasnt paved all the way and was still the best drive in the area. If you dont want to change your plans in carmel and are just looking for a LONG day of driving... I suggest driving down hwy 1 to naciemento fergusson road, then go east, then south at Jolon Road. Then you will turn right on interlake road (sign says south shore lake san antonio/ Lake Naciemento) You will drive between lake Naciemento and Lake San Antonio. At one point you can see both lakes at the same time. Then drive into Paso Robles and get some lunch. (this will be about a 4 hr drive) I suggest F. McKlintocks on Park Street and get some turkey nuts and a tri-tip sandwich. (http://www.mclintocks.com/locations/pasorobles.asp) Then take the 101 back to carmel. Should be about 2-2.5hrs. Now thats a full day of driving on the central coast right there. Below is a google map link. Hope it works!

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Ca...ia=1,2&t=m&z=9