Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NW Atlanta to Osage Beach, MO

This trip will be solo and going in Mid-October. Was thinking about taking the shorter by miles, but 10 min longer way and going thru Cape Girardeax, MO rather than 1/2 thru IL. Any thoughts?

Read a bit on the site and this will be a "speed" trip. I'm in my late 40's.

Welcome to RTA!

Either way is about 700 miles, so you're looking at two days on the road -- either a long one and a very short one, or two equidistant days. Which way would you RATHER go? Are you looking to do something on the way?

Be glad you're going in mid-October. Right now, central MO (including the Lake) is sitting in the 100F's and with about 50% humidity. It's the fourth or fifth day running and more coming.

Donna

Only 50% Humidity?

When the temperature is 100F, 50% is very high humidity.

The fastest way is going to be through St. Louis and out I-70 to US-54. There aren't really any good fast roads between Cape Girardeau and Osage Beach. US-60 is pretty good from Sikeston to the Springfield area, but there isn't anything good between it and Osage Beach - MO-5 isn't that good. How you get through (or around) STL is very dependent on what time of day you are there. I-64 right through downtown has recently been totally rebuilt and would be a good choice except in weekday rush hour. In rush hour, I'd take I-255 north to I-270 west to MO-370 to I-70. US-54 from I-70 to Osage Beach is multi-lane expressway or near-expressway quality most of the way, with speed limits up to 70 mph.

We do not recommend you try to do this in 1 day, as Donna indicated. "Speed run" procedures are not applicable for a solo driver.

Thank you all for the welcome and tips so quickly!

Only 90 here in Atlanta, but the humidity is 60% Lower than it has been. =)

This will be on the weekend. Was thinking about one long day Saturday. But it seems like Friday night to a Nashville, TN and the rest of the way Saturday might be best.

Kennesaw GA, Chattanooga TN, Nashville, Paducah, KY then off the interstate to Cape Girardeax, MO; Festus backroad, then interstate nearly to Rolla. Backroads again to Brumley MO.

Southern plates in IL (Cubs fan or not) worries me. I'm driving to an instruction session for rifle shooting. Don't want IL LEO's sticking their nose in my car for any reason. Bizarre laws in that state regarding firearms.

And truth be told I was reading a trucker's forum last week and the Cairo bridges over the OH and MS rivers are "mirror slappers"

Default its the dew point!

Quote Originally Posted by Piker View Post
    Only 90 here in Atlanta, but the humidity is 60% Lower than it has been. =)
    50% Humidity in 100 Degree weather is actually slightly more humid than 60% Humidity in 90 Degree Weather.

Its actually really very close, but the number you want to look for is the Dew Point - and in both cases its above 70, which means its really freakin humid!

I agree your 2 day plan is best. While it wouldn't be recommended, You could probably do it in a day, the problem is you wouldn't be in any condition to be touching those rifles even the next day!

I wouldn't worry about Illinois too much. I haven't had any significant problems driving there with Cheddar (WI) Plates, and that should make me a much bigger target than you!

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I agree your 2 day plan is best. While it wouldn't be recommended, You could probably do it in a day, the problem is you wouldn't be in any condition to be touching those rifles even the next day!
    Very true, I often get so comfy in the prone position that I nod off anyway. And I don't want to do that behind the wheel or behind a bangstick.

Quote Originally Posted by Piker View Post

And truth be told I was reading a trucker's forum last week and the Cairo bridges over the OH and MS rivers are "mirror slappers"
    I can't help you with other parts of your trip, but having crossed the Ohio River bridge at Cairo twice and the Mississippi River Bridge once, with the second OH crossing followed immediately by the MS crossing in July 2010, those bridges are mirror slappers for sure. Ski jumps, too. I don't think I've ever driven across steeper, narrower bridges. First crossing was in a K-1500 shortbed Chevy pickup; the two-river crossing was in my F350 Superduty. If anything, the MS bridge seems narrower, possibly due to my meeting a grain hauler (tractor-trailer with a grain body in tow) just over the crest as I was coming down the MO side. How we didn't bash mirrors or scrape the trusses on the side I'll never know. I didn't open my eyes back up until Cape Girardeau.

But, if for any reason you're anxious about being in IL, be aware you'd be there for < 1 minute. The MS bridge to MO is within sight of the foot of the OH crossing from Wycliffe, KY; I'd say between a quarter mile and a half mile away. The most direct route from I-24 at Paducah to I-55 in MO is US 60 and it "touches" IL there at the bridges, which are a few miles below Cairo at the confluence of the rivers and does not pass through any sort of developed area within the Cairo area.

Foy

If you are going to do that, take US-60 out of Paducah, and slap your mirrors. Take I-55 north to Cape Girardeau, then MO-72/US-67/MO-8/MO-68/US-63/MO-42/MO-134. 450 miles from Nashville to Osage Beach via this route, doable safely in one day but Clarksville would be a better bet to give you a cushion.