1. Default Dallas to Austin and Back

I'm in a similar situation to kaylaraine. I'm attending a wedding in Dallas and have some extra time off. I was thinking of driving to Austin because everyone says there's more going on there than in Dallas, but all I can find besides go see the bats and go listen to some bands is way out in the country (Pedernales Falls, Enchanted Rock).

So here's what I'm wondering: I'm planning to drive from Dallas to Austin after I fly in around noon, and I'm not planning on doing much that evening besides seeing the bats and maybe going to see a band. I'm allowing myself the next day to get from Austin to Fort Worth (I'm hoping to see a rodeo at 8 pm that night). Is there anything in Austin proper I can do? If I leave Austin first thing and go to the natural areas I just mentioned is it worth it? Google estimates drive time would be over six hours, so I don't know if I'd even have time to enjoy the parks. Should I just stay in the Dallas/Forth Worth area and take in Billy Bob's and the stockyards?

Last edited by Midwest Michael; 07-16-2012 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Moved post, linked back to original thread

Green County, Wisconsin

Default not worth it.. at least probably not

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I've moved your post so we can talk specifically about your trip, but I would highly recommend going through the links provided in the previous thread you found.

Austin certainly has its reputation as a city with great nightlife, especially because of all the great bands. Having said that, I don't think I would make the trip if I were you. If I understand correctly, you're getting in at noon, plan to drive down, and then come back the next day? Despite what google says, you're looking at a minimum of 3.5, and more like 4 hours each way once you factor in traffic. Add in that by the time you get your bags and your rental car, its probably going to be pushing 2 o'clock, and you wouldn't even be getting into Austin until around 6pm. Plus spending 4 hours in a car, after spending all morning in a plane and in airports isn't usually much fun.

If there was something specific you really wanted to do in Austin, you could make it work, but I get the impression you're thinking this way mostly because you think Austin should be vastly better than DFW in terms of entertainment options.

Dallas/Fort Worth is a huge area with no shortage of things to do, the question really is what kinds of things are you looking for.