1. Default Raleigh, NC to San Diego, CA

Hey! I'm planning on driving cross country in a few months and was just wondering how many miles are recommended in a day and MUST SEE places to see. Should I plan ahead with places to stay? Any advice for a newbie and excited traveler is much needed :)

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

We generally recommend limiting your days to about 600 miles each, although that does not leave much any time left for extras. If you want to stop and explore, even at just the little things along the way, then 500 miles should be about your top end.

Preplanning stopping points is up to you and how much you like knowing you have a place to stay at the end of the night, vs the ability to stop where and when you feel like stopping. It also depends upon the goal, if its a speed run or a leisure trip.

We don't really believe in generic must sees here, as the beauty of a roadtrip is the ability to go to the places that perfectly meet your interests. Plus, without any sort of time constraints, and a trip that goes from coast to coast, the potential "must sees" are in the millions!

3. Default

Welcome to RTA! I have actually planned a trip from Ft Bragg to Santa Monica by way of Route 66. You don't state how many days you have to travel, I am dropping 30 days to really take my time. I do have a few versions of this I've been working on. You can see my initial draft here:
    There's an excel spreadsheet attachment in there of my itinerary. This is just to give you a few ideas. Going cross country is definitely a personal experience that you should tailor to what you find interesting. A lot of the hotels I chose are either for "historic" reasons to do with route 66, a high rating on trip advisor, or simply because they were cheap. Due to recent budget restrictions (kids need braces) I have made a few different versions of this, to include camping, and combining a few of the shorter legs. Either way, make sure to take time, and enjoy the beauty of the states. You only get one turn in life, make some memories on the way!