1. Default Road Trip from New Jersey to Boston

Hi,

I am planning on driving from Edison NJ to Sharon MA (suburb of Boston) this Saturday morning. Can someone please suggest the fastest route?

Google says 95 but some have suggested an alternate through Tappan Zee. If this is a better route can you give me the details, or if there is one better please let me know that.

Detailed directions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jahan

On Saturday, you can get away with I-95. Assuming you have an EZ-Pass, I'd take the GSP all the way to the end to the NY Thruway, following I-287 across the Tappan Zee and the Cross Westchester Expressway to I-95. 250 miles, about 4.5 hours.

I'd recommend you take I-295 around the west side of Providence, because I-95 through downtown is narrow, winding, and in pretty bad shape.

This is an easy trip, you won't get lost.

Hi, and Welcome to the The Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Even on a Saturday, I would be staying well clear of I-95, if time is of the essence. From Bergen county I found that I-87 and I-90 (MassPike) to be the quickest taking a bit more than four hours.

Lifey

Lifey, in this particular case, taking I-87 to I-90 adds 75 miles. Not worth it. Edison is considerably south of Bergen County, and Sharon is south of Boston, almost halfway to Providence. I-95 eastbound through CT in the morning isn't bad. The only thing you do NOT want to do at ANY time is take I-95 across the GWB and Cross Bronx Expressway - that's always a mess. Even at off traffic times, the Cross Bronx is just a nasty road.

If for any reason, you hear that there are problems on I-95 in western CT, you can always take the Merritt Parkway to the Milford crossover to get back to I-95.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Lifey, in this particular case, taking I-87 to I-90 adds 75 miles. Not worth it. Edison is considerably south of Bergen County, and Sharon is south of Boston, almost halfway to Providence. I-95 eastbound through CT in the morning isn't bad. The only thing you do NOT want to do at ANY time is take I-95 across the GWB and Cross Bronx Expressway - that's always a mess. Even at off traffic times, the Cross Bronx is just a nasty road.

If for any reason, you hear that there are problems on I-95 in western CT, you can always take the Merritt Parkway to the Milford crossover to get back to I-95.
    Glc,

So I have to take GSP all the way up into NY? And then the NY Thruway to 287 to the Tappan Zee? Will the Tappan Zee then put my on 95?

Also I know you want me to avoid the Cross Bronx but since I am coming from south does this not put extra time on me? I think with the route you suggested I am taking GSP through Bergen county before I hit the Thruway right? Would not GWB be quicker for me to get to even though I have to go through Cross Bronx?

Thanks,
    Jahan

I think a close examination of a good map would help tremendously here.

The Tappan Zee Bridge is part of I-287. For that matter the I-287 is also technically part of the NY Thruway. GLC's route really is just 3 steps: Garden State to I-287 to I-95.

This route is about 10 mile longer than using I-95 the whole way (including the NJ Turnpike, GW Bridge, and Cross Bronx). If you didn't hit any traffic, it might be faster, but as GLC mentioned your odds of hitting bad traffic on the slightly shorter route are significantly higher.

Plus, 10 miles of difference is basically nothing on a 250 mile trip.

Take the GSP to the end and take the Thruway toward New York City. This will be marked I-87 SOUTH in addition to being part of I-287. Cross the Tappan Zee Bridge and follow the signs for I-287, Cross Westchester Expressway. Take that to I-95 NORTH.