1. Default Traveling from Chicago to Niagara Falls then on to Boston

Hi me and 3 friend are looking to travel from Chicago to Niagara falls and then on to Boston. We have 5days to do this and want to see as much along the way as possible. Anybody out there that has done this and any advice on what we shouldn't miss along the way like places to eat and places to see. Any advice at all that you would have would be appreciated.

Thanks

Welcome!

One question first - do you all have passports? You can't go into Canada and back without them.

3. Default

Yes all have passports.

Default Not a Lot of Spare Time

Assuming that you're going to be returning to Chicago as part of your 5 day RoadTrip, there really isn't a whole lot that you can do. It's a full two days between your endpoints, leaving just one day in Boston, and at most an hour or two for stops en route. Niagara Falls, at the end of your first - start of your second - day is the obvious place to spend your time on the eastbound leg. On the westbound leg, I'd suggest that you take I-84 to Scranton and then spend your 'extra' time driving scenic US-6 across northern Pennsylvania.

AZBuck

5. Default

Sorry should have been more clear, not heading back to chicago staying in boston for a while so we have 5 days just to get to Boston.

Default Very Well Then

In that case, there is certainly no shortage of things to do. You will need a passport to view the Falls from the Canadian side, but even if you have one, I'd suggest that you make the journey to the Falls entirely within the US. Skipping the places close to Chicago, in Cleveland, there's the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the Cleveland Museum of Natural History (world class), and Cuyahoga Valley National Park. After Niagara, as noted previously, your best scenic/historic route follows the Erie Canal using US-20 as your main route, with possible sights to see including Letchworth State Park, Women's Rights National Historic Park in and around Seneca Falls, and one or more of the Finger Lakes wine trails. Then you could use the Mohawk Trail (MA-2) to cross Massachusetts and even, if you have some remaining time, visit Cape Ann and Salem before finally heading into Boston.

AZBuck

Default Agreed!

Would have to endorse Buck's US20 suggestion through NY. Seneca is a lovely place to stop, the Finger Lakes are great, and there is much more. Take the time to enjoy and explore. Even if you did not want to stop, it is a very scenic and pleasant drive. Having driven it only a few weeks ago, I can highly recommend it.

The route through MA is just as great, but I have only driven sections of that.

Lifey

Baseball fans, by any chance?

Cooperstown is a very short few miles south of US 20 on NY-80, and is the home of the National Baseball Hall of Fame. If you are BIG fan, allow a full day.

Donna