1. Default Road trip from Chicago

Hi! We are a Swedish couple planning a take a road trip around Chicago for two weeks next summer and need some help. We havenīt got a clue what to see. Maybe visit some relatives in Minnesota is the only thing we have been thinking about.
    Our dream is to take Route 66, but I think it will be a to long trip for only two weeks.
    Any advice is welcome!

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

It depends on how long you are going to be spending with your relatives. My thoughts on this - and they leave a lot of space - would be to head west and visit Yellowstone National Park, loop south into Colorado (Denver), and head back to Chicago from there. This is about 3200 miles in total, so it splits up time between driving and exploring the places along your way.

Where in Minnesota will you be headed?

Another Option with less distance starts with of taking advantage of Chicago's great attractions like: Navy Pier, three major museums, aquarium, Planetarium and many local summer festivals and concerts (2-3 days).

A day in Six Flags Amusement Park on the way to Wisconsin: Lake Geneva, then Devil's Lake for hiking, Wisconsin Dells for water swimming parks. (2-3 days)

* Drive North past Green Bay throught beautiful Forests to reach Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and Grand Island Take the boat tour to see all the cliffs (easily spend 2-3 days)
    * Drive East toward Mackinac Island, stop for a few hours to see Oswalds Bear Ranch near Newberry and play with the bear cubs. (1 days)
    * Visit, take a ferry and rent a bicycle Mackinac (Mackinaw) Island (1-2 days)
    *Drive South down along the Eastern edge of Lake Michigan, visit Sleeping Bear Bay, Crystal Lake park, Silver Lake State Park and many Lighthouses and smal quaint towns. (2-3 days)
    * Stop and visit Holland Michigan, pick some blueberries. Warren Dunes State Park, MI or Indiana Dunes State Park. Shopping at Michigan City, Indiana ? (1-2 days)

Back to Chicago

Melbourne, Australia

Default The value of local knowledge.

Hi Edmar, and Welcome to the The Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Good to see you jump in with such detailed advice in your first post. There's nothing like local knowledge and experience to help others along their trip. Well done.

edmar434 has given you the outline for a wonderful trip. The only thing I might add would be a day or two in Door County. Green Bay is at the foot of the Door County Peninsula. Although I'm a great fan of Route 66, a little more time would be needed for a really good trip. Given your time frame, I think what edmar434 has suggested is better.

6. Default

Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
    MassTim-We have relatives in Minneapolis but also in Quincy, Illinois.
    Whatīs the weather like in this part of US in June/July?

Melbourne, Australia

Default Hot!

At the end of June, the temperature in the twin cities hovered in the high 90s. On top of that, it was very humid.

Green County, Wisconsin

Typically, when talking about a trip that's a year away, I suggest simply looking at the conditions right now to get a sample of what you could likely see at the same time next year.

However, in this case, we're seeing one of the top 5 hottest summers on record. As lifely mentioned, There have been several stretches of temperatures in the 90s and even 100s. More typically, the midwest sees temperatures in the 70s and 80s during the summer, with only a handful of days each year that get up into the 90s. Of course, the farther south, the more likely you are to see warmer temperatures, with St. Louis, for example, is much more likely to see 90s and 100s than Chicago.

Southern California

I can answer Quincy ... HOT and HUMID. Last summer, it was in the 90s over there in mid-July with humidity in the 60% range. From what I'm given to understand, it's about the same there now.

Bring a bottle of mosquito repellant.