Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Long Beach CA - Indian harbour beach Florida - Two fifty year old gals 3 cats

Hi all. I will be heading out to Florida from Long Beach CA on July 27th. Going with my best friend Jeni. We will be in a 16 foot Budget truck and pulling my car on a trailer. Our stops will be: Tucson/El Paso/San Antonio/New Orleans/Melbourne Fl., and we will be traveling down interstate 10. So we will be traveling 5 days and 5 nights. AAA made reservations for us at each stop for us and our cats. I'm just a bit nervous about pulling my car behind us but I will ask to drive around first to get my feet wet. I would love to hear from you about any hints or advice you will have for me. This will only be my 2nd road trip - the first being when I was 6. Lol. About how fast can I safely go pulling my car? All 4 wheels will be off the road. We are going to be driving very early each day and having the nights to check in to our hotel and have a nice dinner. Will be going to Tombstone for a few hours during the late afternoon and exploring New Orleans at night. The cats will be lounging in our hotel rooms while we sight see a bit. I looked on the Internet and found a few places to eat that were visited by Diners DriveIns and Dives so that should be fun. Any words of wisdom my fellow travelers?
    :

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you need to rework your stops a bit.

The biggest issues are with your El Paso and your New Orleans stops - for opposite reasons.

El Paso is only 300 miles from Tucson, which is only a 5 hour drive. Even if you include a detour to Tombstone, I'd think you'd want to get a bit farther down the road.

On the other hand, New Orleans to Melbourne is more than 700 miles, and that's way too far to be doing in a day, especially when pulling a trailer. Long haul truckers aren't allowed to do that kind of distance, and not only would it be unsafe, it would be miserable for you and your animals.

You can certainly do this trip in 5 full days, but you need to adjust your stops. You'd be looking more like Tucson, Fort Stockton, Houston, and Pensacola. If spending the night in NOLA is a priority, then you need to plan for another night on the road.

I'm also not entirely sure how you figure you would be stopping in Tombstone in the late afternoon? Its about an hour and a half east from Tucson, so it would be someplace you'd visit in the morning after you leave Tucson, if you stop there. However, considering you are pulling a trailer, and your pretty tight schedule, I don't know if I would make that detour.

Pulling a trailer takes a little getting used to, but having the 4 wheel trailer was the right decision. The biggest challenge is at places like gas stations and motels - where you'll need to keep in mind your size and try avoid getting into a situation where you'd have to back up any significant distance, which is a big challenge if you're not used to dealing with a trailer.

Pulling a trailer: You will want to stop for fuel at truck stops, which are generally built to accommodate long wheelbases. Pilot, Flying J, and Loves are all spaced apart and usually among the least expensive along the freeways.

I totally concur with Michael about your overnight stops. We just made a similar run across the country, with slightly different routing, from San Diego to Orlando. Our stops were in Tempe AZ, Van Horn TX, Decatur TX (visited friends), Wiggins MS, and Orlando. Our days were between 375 and 600 miles long.

As far as how fast you can go with a rental truck towing a trailer ... figure 10 miles less than the given speed limit. Most states say that for vehicles pulling trailers. So if the speed limit is 75 for cars, 65 for you. Of course, as always, if weather conditions indicate slowing down, you'll need to do that too.

PS A good place to practice towing a trailer is to take yourself to a big church parking lot or school parking lot on a day when the church or school is closed.

Donna

4. Default re thought route

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I think you need to rework your stops a bit.

The biggest issues are with your El Paso and your New Orleans stops - for opposite reasons.
    Hi. I wanted to thank you for your very valuable feedback. Based on what you said I re-thought our route stops. I've added a stop in between New Orleans and Melbourne Florida. I have decided to stop at Tallahassee Florida. That will be a lot easier on us and our 3 cats. I'm leaving on July 26 and looking to get into Melbourne on the late afternoon of July 31st. I'm also going to re think stopping off at Tombstone. If I do go there I will go there in the morning and then go back and get the cats at the hotel and then travel on to the next stop. That might be too much though. What made the stops difficult was that my friend Jeni wants to stop in San Antonio to see her aunt and I picked New Orleans. Thanks again so much!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 07-09-2012 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Trimmed quote of entire previous post

5. Default

Thanks for your valuable feedback Debbie. I will make sure I stop at the truck stops for gas. Thanks for telling me which ones and thanks for the info on speeds while pulling trailers and the idea about practicing in a church lot. There are a few lots around here I can practice in. Thanks again! Cindy

Default potential pet problems

Quote Originally Posted by Lacinda View Post
    I'm also going to re think stopping off at Tombstone. If I do go there I will go there in the morning and then go back and get the cats at the hotel and then travel on to the next stop. That might be too much though.
    I think that's going to be a big problem. Tombstone is more than 70 miles from Tucson, so you'd be adding about 150 miles here, going back and forth across the same section of I-10 3 times! Considering you'll be getting less than 10 miles to the gallon, that detour is going to cost you at least $60.

But the bigger issue is with your pets. Most pet friendly hotels do not want you leaving your animals alone in the room. Now, if you're going down to the hotel pool or at the most quickly running out for some take out, you might be able to get away with it, but leaving them alone for hours at a time, especially if you are miles upon miles away, could lead to some major problems.

If you want to go out for the evening, or for a daytrip along the road, you'll really have to look for some pet day-care facilities.

On a side note, if you are going with a 6 day plan, then I'd actually probably look at the Phoenix/Mesa area, instead of Tucson, as that first day will likely be the slowest and most difficult day as you get used to the truck/trailer, not to mention deal with LA traffic. You might also consider bypassing Phoenix by using AZ-85 from Buckeye to I-8 at Gila Bend, rejoining I-10 at Casa Grande. If you do that, then you could look for lodging in Buckeye, Gila Bend, or Casa Grande if you want to have a slightly shorter day.

If you do that, then you could look for lodging in Buckeye, Gila Bend, or Casa Grande if you want to have a slightly shorter day.
    Of those 3, Casa Grande has the best selection.

8. Default

Hi. I just pulled up the map of Arizona highways and am going to take your advise. I'm going to cancel the Tucson stop and by-pass Phoenix and stay at Casa Grande. I've found some pet friendly hotels there. You're right - Tombstone would be too much back-tracking so I'm going to just forget that stop. I'll also make sure if I leave the cats that I just do it to go to dinner and back. Thanks again for your very valuable feedback.

9. Default

Thanks. That is where I will stop for lodging. I found some pet friendly hotels. Cindy

In the Casa Grande area, check for pet-friendly hotels around Arizona City and Toltec as well. It might be a little less expensive!

Donna