1. Default LA, SF, Yosemite, Death Valley, Route 66, Grand Canyon to Las Vegas - 14 days

I'm a new member, but a long time lurker on this forum. I've read many posts, and have gotten some good advice and tips from this.

Now it's soon time for my own American roadtrip with my wife. We are from Norway, and will fly over to Los Angeles in mid september for a two week road trip.

We've booked a convertible at Avis LAX, and of course I'm hoping for a Mustang, but a Sebring may be more likely?

Day 1 - 3: Los Angeles, we'll be staying in Santa Monica. One day we will go to Disneyland, and we will probably also visit Universal Studios.
    Day 4: Highway 1 towards San Francisco, spend the night in Carmel.
    Day 5: Drive to San Francisco, spend the night there
    Day 6: Leave SF around 3PM and drive to Yosemite (Around Rainbow Pools), spend the night
    Day 7: Tioga Pass, maybe visit Bodie and then onto Mammoth Lakes
    Day 8: Drive US-395 onto CA-190 to Furnace Creek, spend the night there
    Day 9: Dantes View Point to Kingman, via Oatman
    Day 10: Route 66 from Kingman to Seligman and on to Grand Canyon South rim (Helicopter ride), then spend the night in Flagstaff/Seligman
    Day 11: Drive directly to Las Vegas
    Day 12-14: Las Vegas

Then we will fly to Fort Lauderdale, for a 1 week cruise on the Oasis of the Seas.

We will be staying multiple days only in LA and LV, and thus this route may be a tad bit ambitious, but there are so many things we would like to see and do. Also there are not many days with very long drives, with the exception of day 9.

I'm hoping you could give me your thoughts about the route, and also the roads we use along the way (better alternatives?). Also, if you know of anything along the route we should see, that would be great!

Allthough we very much would like to see all the places in our plan, the route is not carved in stone. We have booked hotels in LA and LV, but will most likely book the rest of the hotels on our way.
    Last edited by hjohnson; 07-08-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Tucson, AZ

Default Pretty Good

Velkommen! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The Avis fleet of convertibles includes the Ford Mustang, Chrysler 200 Convertible, Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder and Pontiac G6, so those are what you'll most likely get.

One place where you might be overextending yourself is on Day 10. While normally a 300 mile driving day is not going to be too much, Such a day where most of those miles are on two-lane roads, and you're taking helicopter rides, (presumably) trying to see the Grand Canyon from ground level, and get to lodgings on the way back to Las Vegas is going to be a bit trying. Otherwise, I don't think you're pushing yourselves too hard. Ambitious, yes, but how many times are you going to get to this part of the world?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Tusen takk! :-)

Thanks for the insight regarding Avis-convertibles. I guess we will be fine luggage wise with both the Ford and the Chrysler, but the Eclipse or G6 might be a bit of a struggle. Is it in any way possible to request a specific model? I'm aware that they can't guarantee it.

Yeah.. Day 10 might be a bit of a stretch. We are planning an early departure from Kingman, and the helicopter-tour is a short one (30min ride). This is the tour we are considering. Our original plan was to take Route 66 between Kingman and Seligman on our way to Grand Canyon, and then backtrack on the interstate on the way back. Maybe it's better to switch? I don't think it's really feasible to get further east than Kingman on day 9, because we are planning to spend some time in Oatman that day as well. Of course, it's also possible to stay in Williams on our way back instead of Seligman. Any thoughts? Do we need to pre book in Williams, even though we are coming off season? (late sept)

Otherwise I'm pleased to hear that our plan isnt overly ambitious, it's exactly right as you say; as we can't really afford this kind of trip on a regular basis ;)
    Last edited by hjohnson; 07-09-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Joplin MO

I'm not aware of any hotels in Seligman - in fact, I don't think there's anything between Williams and Kingman unless you take 66, there might be something in Peach Springs.

You should be fine in Williams without reservations - worst case, head for Flagstaff, it's only 30 minutes down the road.

Taking 66 between Kingman and Seligman only adds about 15 miles to I-40. If you drive the speed limit, this will only add about 30 minutes plus whatever time you stop to see things.