Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Orleans to Miami in 10 days

Thanks largely to all the input from members we had a wonderful roadtrip in May
    "Yellowstone-National-Park-WY-and-nearby-states"

This was our second (selfdrive) roadtrip in the USA and as both were so fantastic we are planning a third for Frbruary 2013.

We plan to depart from New Orleans on the 8/9th Feb and have a leasurely drive down to Fort Lauderdale

As mentioned in my previous thread, We are very interested in American Indian history and the founding of the USA, natural and man made wonders, and photography.

After browsing this site, I have marked some points of interest on a Google map. It is clear that we cannot see them all.
    We would welcome your ideas on these and other points of interest.
    We have been to Orlando and Cape Canaveral.

Regards, Don
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Everglades?

Don, I couldn't see anything about the Everglades on that map. If you are in FL you must not miss the Everglades. Feb is a lovely time to go, not so hot, and hopefully, not so many mossies.

I particularly loved driving down some of the minor highways heading south of Kissimee - 441 and 27. Be sure not to miss Alligator Alley. Stop off at the view points and if you are lucky, you can watch alligators play and swim around.

Florida City is a nice place for jump off to the Everglades and the Keys.

Another great trip in store for you.

Lifey

Since it appears you intend to go down Florida's west coast, you might consider a stop in Sarasota at the Ringling Home, Art Museum and Circus Museum. It's a great stop.

I'd also suggest you take US 41 through the Everglades. North of Everglades City at the Junction of US 41 and Florida 20, yoou can take an airboat ride and it is a great experience.

If you go out the Keys there is a nice Sea World type attraction called the Theatre Of The Sea at Islamorada that is well worth the stop and much less expensive and time-consuming than Sea World. They have several nice shows including a great dolphin show and some enjoyable exhibits.

Lifey - How long ago did you drive US 27 because I most certainly did not enjoy it when we took it from Miami to Orlando in 2009. From Lake Placid on, it was one long, skinny city all the way to Orlando. It was the first time I'd driven it since the early '70s and could not believe how much it had changed.

In Keywest, I suggest you make a ride on the Conch Tour Train one of the first items on your agenda. It's a good way to see the town without fighting heavy traffic and narrow streets and get the lay of the land. In February, it will be very congested and busy - especially if there are some cruise ships in port. I don't know what your budget is but if it's fairly liberal, I would recommend staying downtown in the Duval Street area. This greatly alleviates the congestion/parking problem. When we were there in 2009, we stayed at the east end of town because I had some free Comfort Inn nights. One of the guys at the hotel told me about a parking lot downtown for $10 a day (cheap!!) but that we'd have to get there early. We went downtown about 8:00 am and easily got a place. It was basically a vacant lot near the corner of Greene and Simonton Streets just two blocks off Duval. As I said, it was just a vacant lot and there may well be something built there by now.

Have A Great Trip!!
    Last edited by Charlie H; 07-08-2012 at 07:03 AM.

Default Not that part of 27.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie H View Post
    Lifey - How long ago did you drive US 27 because I most certainly did not enjoy it when we took it from Miami to Orlando in 2009. From Lake Placid on, it was one long, skinny city all the way to Orlando. It was the first time I'd driven it since the early '70s and could not believe how much it had changed.
    It was in 2009, when I drove down 441 from Kissimee to south of the lake near Alligator Alley, where I picked up 27. In fact, I drove it from Florida City back to Alligator Alley on the return journey as well. Most enjoyable. I have great memories of it. There were sections which went throug built up areas, but I do not recall them being terribly congested. I relished in the ambiance the palm trees and architecture created. I did not drive it from Miami to Orlando. That part is not noted as a scenic road, on my maps.

Lifey

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    It was in 2009, when I drove down 441 from Kissimee to south of the lake near Alligator Alley, where I picked up 27. In fact, I drove it from Florida City back to Alligator Alley on the return journey as well. Most enjoyable. I have great memories of it. There were sections which went throug built up areas, but I do not recall them being terribly congested. I relished in the ambiance the palm trees and architecture created. I did not drive it from Miami to Orlando. That part is not noted as a scenic road, on my maps.

Lifey
    Thank you once again Lifey. I have entered your suggestions on our wish list.

Originally Posted by Charlie H View Post
    Since it appears you intend to go down Florida's west coast, you might consider a stop in Sarasota at the Ringling Home, Art Museum and Circus Museum. It's a great stop.
    Charlie,
    Our plans are open at the moment. eg. I had Cedar Key on the map as a canoe sailing buddie was building there. I have been trying to re-establish contact.
    We love your suggestions re the keys and have included them all.

Re Budget. We try to watch (average) expenditure but will splash out occasionally.
    We come too far to allow dollar watching spoil an experience. So we have included the Duval Street area on the list. Do you have any idea how far forward it is necessary to book? We had little choice in Moab in May this year.

Regards, Don

Don - When we visited Key West in February of 2009, I don't recall having any trouble getting a reservation for lodging but, like I said, I was not looking at the downtown area because I had some free nights at the Comfort Inn at the east end of the key and while downtown is nice, free is better.

Lifey - I guess we're talking about two different parts of US 27. I agree with you that it is a pleasant drive from Miami to the lake. In fact, we took a very enjoyable air boat ride at the Sawgrass Recreation Area just north of the I-75 interchange. But beginning in Clewiston the traffic became heavy and from Lake Placid to Kississimmee it was a nightmare.

Charlie,
    Thanks, I will book in when our plans have firmed up- just to be sure.
    When is theri high season?

Lifey,

I see you have been in touch while in the USA....a very busy Lady! Must find out what data connections you use. I recently spent a fortune "roaming" and eventually bought a T mobile SIM....only to find their coverage in small towns was far from ideal.Yellowstone was a problem. No phone at all. Backcountry navigator was fantastic...precached when wifi available.
    Found the cheaper hotels had free wifi but more expensive charged heaps !!!!!
    but then uploading photos to Dropbox very slow....I guess we get what we pay for.

Regards, Don

She is using a laptop and wifi for her data connections. With a little sleuthing, you can find wifi in a lot of places - public libraries, some highway rest areas, McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.

For your phone, T-Mobile and AT&T are the only 2 carriers we have here that use GSM and sim cards. Their sims will work in any unlocked phone. Data is going to be expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    She is using a laptop and wifi for her data connections. With a little sleuthing, you can find wifi in a lot of places - public libraries, some highway rest areas, McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.

For your phone, T-Mobile and AT&T are the only 2 carriers we have here that use GSM and sim cards. Their sims will work in any unlocked phone. Data is going to be expensive.
    Thanks glc.
    Yes, I have "Free Wi-Fi Finder" on my phone and it is very good, but with the schedule we set on our previous roadtrip there was little time to make good use of this.
    For mobile data, I did notice that in smaller towns AT & T was available much more than T mobile.

Regards, Don

Default WiFi (almost) everywhere!

Don, for the three and a half months just passed, I did not pay one cent for wifi. Although occasionally it was poor, mostly it has been very good. As glc mentioned, there is McDonald's and Starbuck (never used either) and libraries. Be aware that wifi is still available at many - though not all - libraries even if the library is closed.

[In Glenallan AK, I stopped overnight at the local (only) truck stop. No wifi! Next morning there was an urgent issue I had to attend to, and drove up to the library. Closed! Sure enough, there was wifi available. Now that I have one of those gadgets that plugs into the cigarette lighter, which can recharge the computer, camera, etc., I don't even have the worry of the computer battery going flat.]

There are other places which glc has already mentioned. If I am in a place where Panera bread has an outlet, I go there for lunch. Their wifi like their food and their prices, is excellent. And of course, if I need it, I always ask. It was at a most unlikely service station on a minor highway, seemingly in the middle of nowhere in the Mark Twain Forrest, MO, where I stopped for lunch in 2009. When I ordered I just said, "I don't suppose you people would have wifi?" They did! Result was, I spent much longer there than planned.

I don't stay at paid accommodation if they do not have free wifi, and will often check it out in the room, before committing to the room. Next to a clean room, it is my top priority.

Still, it has occasionally been 48 hours without wifi.

Lifey