1. Default Suggestions for Solo Trip

Hello all,

This summer a few friends and I were planning to take a road trip in the middle of August. However, everyone that I was supposed to go with has now dropped out, and I'm left alone. I've been saving up money and already took off of work, so I figure I might as well do it any way. We were originally planning to drive to Niagara Falls/Toronto for a week, but I'm thinking that may not be ideal for a solo trip. So I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions that might better suit a solo traveler. I am leaving from New Jersey, and looking to drive no more than 20 hours, preferably a little less than that. I really enjoy nature, and all activities that go along with it. I also love being able to meet new people.The budget is not a huge concern, obviously nothing extraordinarily high, but I've been saving for this for a long time, so I figure I might as well do it right if I am going to do it at all. If anyone has any suggestions, please chime in. I haven't been able to travel extensively in America, so any kind of trip will be a new experience for me. Thanks for reading and I hope to hear some feedback.

Based on your previous thread, I can't say I'm surprised that your friends bailed. Its just not uncommon at all when talking about first time travelers, especially when not everyone is committed to the trip at the same level.

But that doesn't have to be a bad thing. Now that you are on your own, you can do exactly what you want without having to worry about anyone else. If you wanted to do Niagara, you could certainly still do it as a solo traveler, but I get the impression that you were looking to go there more to keep your friends happy than because it was your ideal location. There are lots of ideas, but I'm thinking some of the ideas talked about in your last thread about heading south to the mountains might be more what you want. I'd take another look at that thread and the suggestions you got there, and see if there is something that would work well for you.

3. Default

Honestly, I can't say I'm surprised either. I guess it was just wishful thinking that they'd pull through, but I'm determined not to let it ruin my plans. I was excited to make it up to Toronto, but I feel as though if I'm doing a solo trip, I might as well do some "soul searching," something I imagine done best out in nature. However, my main concern with the Smokys is that it would be overcrowded this time of year. As I said, I'd love to meet new people, but I'd also like some solitude as well. Other than this, I think it's a perfect destination.

The Blue Ridge Parkway is a linear National Park that's 400 miles long and meanders through 4-5 states. It's close to home too. The winding roads are a favorite for motorcycles with all the twists and turns, it make driving a car more fun too.

I travel solo lots and love the south east coast of the Carolin's on Rt 17 by Charleston is a great drive seeing the old mansions for one thought. Lots of great water places to take photos, go see the outer banks or just travel the low country. Another run I did last year was to Asheville, if you like to drive great roads all around that area is really interesting and fun. The town in in the mountains and is cooler than NJ in the summer and lots of neat places to walk and eat

6. Default

Thank you for all the input. I definitely feel more confident now and I feel as though the trip is truly beginning to take shape. Below is a copy of my very preliminary plan. If anyone can tell me how realistic it is, what routes to take, places to stop, or any other suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again everyone.

Day 1 (08/16/2012): Leave New Jersey, drive to Roanoke. Stay for night, leave early morning.
    Day 2 (08/17/2012): Arrive Ashville, North Carolina. Stay for the night.
    Day 3 (08/18/2012): Spend day in Asheville.
    Day 4 (08/19/2012): Leave Ashville, arrive in Gatlinburg, Tennessee (Smoky Mountains)
    Day 5-7 (08/20/2012-08/22/2012): Stay in Smoky Mountains.
    Day 8 (08/23/2012): Leave mountains, go to Knoxville, Tennessee.
    Day 9-10 (08/24/2012-08/25/2012): Stay in Knoxville.
    Day 11 (08/26/2012): Leave Knoxville, go towards home. Stop somewhere overnight.
    Day 12 (08/27/2012): Arrive home.

My main questions are the following:

Is Roanoke a good stopping point? I am trying to adhere to the "500 mile a day rule" that many people preach on this forum. Being that this is my first solo trip, I want to be cautious. Roanoke is approximately 460 miles from my house, so I figure that puts me at a good point to get a lot of driving done, and spend a night in what seems like a nice city. However, if people have other ideas as to where I can stop please let me know.

Is Knoxville a place worth checking out, or should I drive the extra miles and check out Nashville or Memphis instead? I really wanted to make is to Memphis, but the (at least) 7 hour drive made me think twice. Knoxville is so close that it seems like the best choice.

Lastly, where can I stop on the way home? I am thinking of just pulling over somewhere after 500 miles, but, again, if there's anywhere interesting I can stop at, please let me know.

Any and all advice is truly appreciated and will not go to waste. Thank you so much to everyone.

7. Default Help with Itinerary

Hello all,

After some input I received in a previous thread, I was able to construct a rough plan for a solo road trip I am taking. I posted the itinerary in that thread, but I'm afraid nobody may have noticed it since I didn't add it on until the thread was a few days old. I apologize if making an entirely new thread goes against the proper etiquette of the forum, but I am very excited to get some feedback on my plans and hopefully start finalizing some things. Below is a copy of the itinerary:

Day 1 (08/16/2012): Leave New Jersey, drive to Roanoke, Virginia. Stay for night, leave early morning.
    Day 2 (08/17/2012): Arrive Asheville, North Carolina. Stay for the night.
    Day 3 (08/18/2012): Spend day in Asheville.
    Day 4 (08/19/2012): Leave Asheville, arrive in Gatlinburg, Tennessee (Smoky Mountains)
    Day 5-7 (08/20/2012-08/22/2012): Stay in Smoky Mountains.
    Day 8 (08/23/2012): Leave mountains, go to Knoxville, Tennessee.
    Day 9-10 (08/24/2012-08/25/2012): Stay in Knoxville.
    Day 11 (08/26/2012): Leave Knoxville, go towards home. Stop somewhere overnight.
    Day 12 (08/27/2012): Arrive home.

My main questions are the following:

Is Roanoke a good stopping point? I am trying to adhere to the "500 mile a day rule" that many people preach on this forum. Being that this is my first solo trip, I want to be cautious. Roanoke is approximately 460 miles from my house, so I figure that puts me at a good point to get a lot of driving done, and spend a night in what seems like a nice city. However, if people have other ideas as to where I can stop please let me know.

Is Knoxville a place worth checking out, or should I drive the extra miles and check out Nashville or Memphis instead? I really wanted to make it to Memphis, but the (at least) 7 hour drive made me think twice. Knoxville is so close that it seems like the best choice.

Lastly, where can I stop on the way home? I am thinking of just pulling over somewhere after 500 miles, but, again, if there's anywhere interesting I can stop at, please let me know.

Sorry again if I am being overzealous by posting this. I truly do appreciate any help that is offered. Thanks.

Moderator Note: Creating multiple threads about the same trip is a violation of forum policy, as is bumping threads. Please show some patience in the future. Thanks.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 07-11-2012 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Merged

Default Don't even think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by borntorun516 View Post
    I am thinking of just pulling over somewhere after 500 miles, ...
    That would definitely not be a good idea. It is unsafe, and could get you woken in the middle of the night, and asked to move on. The only safe place to sleep is in a motel or hotel, unless you have a vehicle set up specifically to get a good night's sleep. Then you could stay at a truck stop where this is allowed.

While you are on the road, make sure you keep your eyes open for hotel and motel discount coupon booklets. You should be able to pick up something in these for around $40... maybe even less.

Lifey

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    That would definitely not be a good idea. It is unsafe, and could get you woken in the middle of the night, and asked to move on. The only safe place to sleep is in a motel or hotel, unless you have a vehicle set up specifically to get a good night's sleep. Then you could stay at a truck stop where this is allowed.

While you are on the road, make sure you keep your eyes open for hotel and motel discount coupon booklets. You should be able to pick up something in these for around $40... maybe even less.

Lifey
    Thanks for the feedback. I should've been clearer on this part. I definitely plan to stay at a hotel, but I was planning to just stop at any random town along the way and stay there for the night, unless there was some place interesting that would be worth a stop. I'm not too familiar with the south, so any suggestions would be great. Thanks again.

You will find motels and hotels in a lot of towns, even when you least expect them! A lot of mom-and-pop motels don't advertise in the coupon books or have an internet presence yet. They may be listed in Google under "hotels in XXXX, XX" where XXXX is the city, and XX is the state. In many cases, these are among the least expensive accommodations. You do have the right to ask to see a room before getting it for the night.

Donna