1. Default Seattle to New Orleans in 12 days - suggestions/any input?

This is my first post; I have perused the site for quite some time and absolutely love it.
    I have (only) 12 days for this trip, which will occur later this month, in an SUV.

Day From To Time (hours) Distance (miles)
    1 Seattle- Boise 8:26 504
    2 Boise- Salt Lake City 5:27 341
    3 Salt Lake City- Moab, UT 4:13 234
    5 Moab- Grand Canyon 6:00 324
    7 Grand Canyon- Albuquerque 6:32 403
    8 Albuquerque- White Sands, NM 3:58 226
    9 White Sands- Carlsbad Caverns 3:50 190
    11 Carlsbad Caverns- San Antonio 6:52 452
    12 San Antonio- Houston 3:18 197

Blank days are for sight-seeing.

This route is open to alteration, and I would be happy to hear of any input you all could provide.
    Right now, I could use input specifically on the feasibility of this route and good sights and restaurants anywhere along the route.
    I like natural wonders/parks, as well as inexpensive, local cuisine.

Thanks in advance for your input!
    Last edited by cssounders; 07-05-2012 at 02:37 AM.

Welcome to RTA!

You have a pretty good plan there. Your day-to-day mileage seems do-able. However, those travel times are pretty unrealistic. I'm assuming that you got the times from a program such as Mapquest or Google Maps? Those aren't "real world" times. Electronic mapping programs don't have to stop and use a restroom, get fuel or food, or get stuck in traffic or a cone-zone. The 504 miles from Seattle to Boise is listed at 8-1/2 hours, but I would say to allow at least 10 hours.

Between the Grand Canyon and Albuquerque is Petrified Forest National Park. With a 400 mile day of all interstate, you might take a couple of hours to swing through PFNP.

Are you going to stop at the White Sands National Monument? That would be another place to drive around a little on the way. Years back, my husband and I were traveling with a U-Haul truck and a car, so we parked the truck at our motel in Alamagordo and then went back to WSNM.

Donna

Default Looks good !

Welcome, I'm glad you are enjoying RTA !

I agree, your trip is perfectly doable even if the driving will be slightl longer than expected.
    From Moab [Arches and Canyonlands NP] you could detour onto US163 and make a quick stop at Monument Valley Tribal park. You could possibly stop at Cameron Trading Post for the night which are the nearest lodgings to the east entry kiosk to the south rim of the Grand canyon. Very interesting stores and good food at reasonable prices, it's a 'mini destination' in itself.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    I'm assuming that you got the times from a program such as Mapquest or Google Maps? Those aren't "real world" times. Electronic mapping programs don't have to stop and use a restroom, get fuel or food, or get stuck in traffic or a cone-zone.

Are you going to stop at the White Sands National Monument?
    Guilty as charged, I did use Google Maps haha. Thanks for the input. I will definitely look into Petrified Forest- it looks great. I am planning on visiting White Sands.

Any things to do between Carlsbad, NM and San Antonio? Any good restaurant recommendations along the route?

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    You could possibly stop at Cameron Trading Post for the night which are the nearest lodgings to the east entry kiosk to the south rim of the Grand canyon. Very interesting stores and good food at reasonable prices, it's a 'mini destination' in itself.
    Thanks for the input. I will check that out. Is 2 nights enough in the Grand Canyon, if I intend only to walk the rim trail and generally hang around the South Rim area?

Default Should be.

Yes. Of course you could spend longer ,but two nights will give you a good overview of the South rim. Coming in from the east entrance you will travel along Desert view drive that has nice viewpoints along it, the first being from the Old Watchtower just inside the park. You can then witness a sunset from the rim trail and next day hop on and off the shuttle bus at various viewpoints on the way to Hermits Rest. If you can find available lodgings and your budget can manage it, I would try and book lodgings in the park around the village area for your second night. [Or both depending on if you stay at Cameron or not] If not, Tusayan is the nearest town out of the south kiosk with Williams and Flagstaff as cheaper options, but further away.