1. Default Moving from Aiken, SC to Providence, RI

Hi,

I'm going to renting a 12 ft Penske truck and will drive it in a couple of days from Aiken, SC to Providence, RI. We have our furniture and belongings but it shouldn't be heavy. No car towed.
    I don't have any experience with driving trucks. I was wondering if any one can give some general tips in terms of:
    - Best, less crowded, interstates to take.
    - Average and max speed.
    - How many miles per gallon such a truck do?
    - Do I need to weigh the truck?
    - Over how many days is it possible to make the trip? And where (city/hotel) do you recommend we rest overnight?

Any other tips that may be useful would be highly appreciated.
    I hope someone can answer me soon, because we're moving soon.

Thank you very much!
    Nigar

Welcome to RTA!

1) I'll leave this one to folks more familiar with the Eastern US to make suggestions, but you're right in thinking you should stay off I-95.

2) Average speed in a Penske type truck: Probably 50-55 mph. You can do faster than that in many instances, but don't count on it.

3) This is the sad part: about 6-8 mpg at best. And they have BIG tanks. Expect to part with $75-100 every time you fill up.

4) Weighing the truck depends on the state.

5) I would do this trip in no less than THREE days, possibly 4 if you can spare it.

Donna

3. Default

Thank you Donna for your great help.
    1. Should I take I-77 then I-81 instead?
    2. Would it be safe to go 70 for example, or just 60-65 when possible?
    4. How would I know if I am supposed to weigh this kind of truck or not? And do I weigh multiple times or one time is good enough?
    5. I was hoping I could do it in 3 days.

Should I be concerned that someone may break the lock and steal some things, or steal the gas? How to avoid these? Any tips?

Thanks a lot!
    Nigar

1. Take I-20/I-77/I-81/I-84 to west of Hartford, then I-691 to Meriden, stay on CT-66 to Middletown, CT-9 to I-95.

2. I would not exceed 65 mph. The truck may have a governor.

3. If it's a gas truck, Donna is correct. If it's diesel it will get about 10.

4. Find out each state's requirements from the Penske agency when you rent it. Some states will require you to enter open weigh stations, some may not.

5. It *IS* possible to do this in 2 long days, but I'd really recommend 3. I'd look at overnights around Staunton VA and Scranton PA. Almost all chain hotels at Interstate exits have truck parking, and it is usually quite safe. Get a high quality lock that's resistant to bolt cutters.

5. Default

Thank you very much glc.

5. I'm planning to buy a lock from Penske. Is that one good enough? Where can I find those resistant locks you're mentioning?

Thanks a lot!
    Nigar

P.S.
    My mistake about this part. Please ignore.
    1. Why should I not go straight to I-95 from I-691 (at Meriden)? May you please explain the logic behind your route?

In Staunton, VA, there's an EconoLodge with truck parking. It was a decent place to stay and not too expensive. I think we went in with a coupon last year.

Donna

7. Default

Thanks again Donna :)

Look at the map - how are you going to GET from Meriden to I-95? Going down I-91 to New Haven adds over 20 miles and will get you into some bad traffic. The non-expressway stretch of CT-66 is only about 5 miles long, CT-9 from Middletown to I-95 is a full expressway.

I would think Penske's lock would be sufficient.