1. Default Female driver mileage/day

I am planning a trip from Atlanta, Georgia to New Orleans, Louisiana. My age is 58.5 years. I would like advice on whether or not I should drive straight to New Orleans or drive half way, spend the night and then drive the rest of the way?????????

Southern California

Welcome to RTA!

The distance between Atlanta and New Orleans is about 470 miles. For most drivers of good health, that's about a 9 hour trip with stops for food, fuel, rest, as long as you don't hit any traffic snags. If it were me (and I'm just a little younger than you), I'd do that in one day.

Commercial drivers are allowed to drive for 11 hours, and most of them can cover about 600 or 650 miles in that period of time.

Hope that helps!

3. Default

If it's possible, it might be good to leave 2 days before you HAVE to be in New Orleans. If you are feeling awake and energetic, you can drive there in one day and enjoy the next day in the city. If you start to feel like you're losing your focus on driving, you can find a place to stop for the night without worrying about missing whatever you're going there for.

Melbourne, Australia

Default A day or two.

Leaving two days, not just to see how you feel, but leave a bit of time in case you come across something you might light to have a closer look at... or a park you might like to explore. If you don't have to be there in one day, that's the way I'd go.

Don't let your age or gender be of any concern. When I was in AK I met a lovely lady who was travelling from south east Canada on her own... and she was 75 years young. She spent most nights sleeping in her mini van with a mattress in the back.

Are you familiar with New Orleans? If not, I would suggest stopping short of New Orleans on your first night and driving on in the next day. I say this because New Orleans is not the easiest town to find your way around and trying to find something after a long day of driving can be frustrating.

You might consider getting off I-10 at Exit 46 and and dropping down to US 90 along the Gulf Coast via I-110. You might enjoy spending an evening in Biloxi.