1. Default LA to New Orleans

We arrive in LA on 3rd November 2012 and and fly home to Australia on 22nd Nov.(We have 8 days in Vancouver before flying to LA) We are still trying to work out what we want to do and were thinking perhaps drive from LA to New Orleans. We would like to spend a couple of days in San Diego & Vegas along the way. We have visited the Grand Canyon before, so this is not a must see. We would like to see Memphis & Nashville before ending up in New Orleans. Are we trying to do too much & does anyone have any suggestions as to where to stop along the way? Also are there any driving hazzards that we would need to be aware of at that time of year? We are happy to incur the one way rental fee for car hire and will fly back to LA. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome!

LA to NOLA via SD, LV, Memphis, and Nashville is about 2800 miles. If you were just to drive that route without any stops other than overnights where they fall along the route, it would take you 5 days.

LA to SD is 2 to 3 hours depending on traffic. SD to LV is 5 to 6 hours.

LV to Memphis is 3 days, with overnights in Albuquerque and Oklahoma City.

Memphis to Nashville is about 3.5 hours.

Nashville to NOLA is a full day - 8 to 10 hours.

Does this fit with the amount of time you have available?

3. Default

Thanks for your info. I think we may have enough time, we have about 17 days up our sleeves. I am thinking 2 nights in SD, Vegas, Nashville & NOLA with 1 night stops in Albuquerque, Oklahoma City & Memphis. We are planning on booking accommodation along the way so we can be flexible. The other thing we were concerned with, is the weather going across from Vegas to Memphis. Is there anything that we should be aware of? Thanks again for your help with this

The weather in November should still be pretty decent, but there is always the possibility of an early-season snowstorm at the higher elevations through AZ and NM in particular.

5. Default

Okay, change of plan slightly. We think we might skip Vegas all together as we have been there before and this will give us an extra couple of days to play with. So now we will spend 2 nights in San Diego and then head off from there. What would be the best way to end up in NOLA keeping in mind that we really want to see Memphis & Nashville. We probably don't want to drive for more that 400 - 500 klm's per day & once again we have 17 days for this. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

It all depends on what you want to see in between SD and Memphis. The fastest route is via Phoenix, then Flagstaff, and will take at least 3 long days on the road.

7. Default

I've enjoyed taking I-40, especially in NM and OK. It's just a bit longer than going farther south, with the difference being insignificant with the length of the trip. The mountains around Albuquerque are pretty, and Oklahoma City has a nice memorial that's an easy, quick stop.

No, it's not any longer - you pick up I-40 in Flagstaff. Going south takes you across West Texas, which is comparatively featureless, and gets you jammed up in the DFW metroplex.