1. Default Bay Area CA to Southern Illinois

Hi all-

I'm new here and found this site on google while trying to plan my family's move this summer from the bay area to southern illinois. i am curious if anyone else here has made the trip and if anyone had any advice for us. we are looking at taking route 66..well 40 to 44 because both my husband and i enjoy history. BUT my concern is that this route is not as traveled as 80 and could potentially be more dangerous.

Welcome aboard RTA!

When it comes to the US interstates, I-40 and I-80 are both well traveled. My husband made his way up and down both as a long-distance trucker, and said that the traffic levels are about the same.

If you are looking to go direct, I-80 leaves San Francisco, heads across all the way to northern Illinois. You'd have to take something to get to the southern part of IL, if you want to stick to interstates.

If you want an interesting route, you could get yourself down to I-40 (it meets I-15 at Barstow) and take that across, then I-44. There isn't a whole lot left of the sites of US-66. In some places, the business routes into the towns along I-40 are labeled as "Busn 66".

Donna

3. Default

Thanks so much for your help. that eases the mind a little. I was really looking forward to seeing some of the sites on 66 but like you said there isn't much left. i have spent the last hour or so researching historical 66 and there isn't much there. It's a shame. such a big part of history. My husband is interested in otr trucking and that is part of the reason we are looking to leave california. regulations for class a drivers is getting to be more and more strict. we have a 6 year old so we are try to both entertain him and make sure that we get to enjoy this new change. does your husband have any suggestions on stops along the way?

Thanks so much,
    Meagan

I've traveled both routes myself, but admittedly haven't been on I-80 in years. But there are loads of ideas in the Maps Center and attractions listing.

Along I-40: take off and head for Seligman in Arizona along AZ-66. That's a part of Rt 66. If your little one is a "CARS" fan, he may recognize some of the sites there. There's the Grand Canyon and Petrified Forest NP's in Arizona. New Mexico has the lava beds and caves, some pueblos are open to the public, and Albuquerque has a zoo. Near Amarillo is the Cadillac Ranch. Many of those may appeal to a 6-year-old.

I'll leave it to others to tell you about I-80. My husband was an over-the-road trucker for 15 months and will tell you, you don't get much chance to see things when you're a commercial driver. The only time you may is if you have a breakdown and your company tells you to lay low for 48 hours, like happened to hubby right near Gettysburg. He rented a car and took off for there. Hubby will also tell you that it's good money, but you are with a partner that you may or may not like for days on end. He was out for 20 days and home for 10, but there are other situations like out for 10, in for 10, out for 10, etc. You drive for no more than 11 hours these days, and whatever mileage you can make in 11 hours, that's what you get paid for.

PS I can't blame you for leaving California while there's opportunity! We are in for some tough times coming up. If I was closer to retirement, I'd retire now and go someplace else too. I still have 10-15 years to go, though.

Donna

5. Default

Hi Donna-

yes, cars was a big contributor to our decision to taking 40. he loves that movie. Yes, we are of the same thought that we better get out of California while the opportunity is still there. Its going to be hard to say goodbye to some of our dear friends and some of our family but i think it will be the best thing we have ever done. The closer it comes to being time to leave the more and more excited i become.

I'd recommend I-40 too. Take whatever's easiest for you to Bakersfield, then CA-58 to Barstow to pick it up.

Some Route 66 diversions:

East of Barstow, you can take a stretch of the old road - it's called National Trails Highway. The exit is 50 miles east of the I-15/I-40 junction. This will take you through Amboy and back to I-40.

At Needles, you can get off and take AZ-95 north toward Bullhead City. Turn right on Boundary Cone Road and take that up into Oatman. From there, you can go over Sitgreaves Pass back to I-40.

At Kingman, you can take AZ-66 through Peach Springs to Seligman to rejoin I-40.

At OKC, switch to I-44 through Tulsa up to MO. If you have a Cars fan, you cannot miss the 4 Women On the Route restored gas station in Galena KS - the truck that was the inspiration for Tow Mater is parked out front. Get off I-44 at MO Exit 1, take US-166/400 to KS-26 into Galena. In the center of town, cross KS-66 at the light and the gas station is a few blocks north. From there, you can turn right at the corner the station's on and take that to MO-66, turn left, and take that through Joplin. If you just keep going straight, it rejoins I-44 east of town.

Now, where in southern IL are you going?

There is little difference in mileage between the northern and southern routes so I would definitely recommend the southern route and Route 66. I'm not sure how you decided there is not much to see and do along 66 but I certainly would not agree. You should check this out: http://www.roadtripamerica.com/links/Route66.htm

I would especially recommend the last entry on the page: Discover Historic Route 66.

Have A Great Trip & Welcome To The Midwest!!
    Last edited by Charlie H; 07-02-2012 at 04:26 PM.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I'd recommend I-40 too. Take whatever's easiest for you to Bakersfield, then CA-58 to Barstow to pick it up.

Some Route 66 diversions:

East of Barstow, you can take a stretch of the old road - it's called National Trails Highway. The exit is 50 miles east of the I-15/I-40 junction. This will take you through Amboy and back to I-40.

At Needles, you can get off and take AZ-95 north toward Bullhead City. Turn right on Boundary Cone Road and take that up into Oatman. From there, you can go over Sitgreaves Pass back to I-40.

At Kingman, you can take AZ-66 through Peach Springs to Seligman to rejoin I-40.

At OKC, switch to I-44 through Tulsa up to MO. If you have a Cars fan, you cannot miss the 4 Women On the Route restored gas station in Galena KS - the truck that was the inspiration for Tow Mater is parked out front. Get off I-44 at MO Exit 1, take US-166/400 to KS-26 into Galena. In the center of town, cross KS-66 at the light and the gas station is a few blocks north. From there, you can turn right at the corner the station's on and take that to MO-66, turn left, and take that through Joplin. If you just keep going straight, it rejoins I-44 east of town.

Now, where in southern IL are you going?
    I had no idea about the gas station and tow mater ! mater is definately this family's favorite character dad being a tow truck operator and all... we are planning to move about 2 hours or so from St. Louis. small town. i realize there will be some culture shock for a while being from the busy hussle and bussle of the bay area but i also think this is going to be a great experience.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie H View Post
    There is little difference in mileage between the northern and southern routes so I would definitely recommend the southern route and Route 66. I'm not sure how you decided there is not much to see and do along 66 but I certainly would not agree. You should check this out: http://www.roadtripamerica.com/links/Route66.htm

I would especially recommend the last entry on the page: Discover Historic Route 66.

Have A Great Trip & Welcome To The Midwest!!

I had only done google searching for activites and things to see on 66 i hadn't even thought to look around on here. thank you for the suggestion. we're not in the mid west yet we are still wrapping a few things up here in california.

Could you please post exactly which town in IL? It makes a difference as to what I'd recommend after Joplin.

By the way, you are allowed to open the door and sit in the old tow truck. If the station is open when you get there, one of the ladies will be inside and has a prepared speech to give you about the place. No admission fee, but there's a donation jar and a guestbook.