A beach-town in Long Island, NY

Default Long Island, NY to Maine

Hi. I see some great suggestions here, but thought I might see if there are other suggestions that match my interests. My friend and I will be driving from Western Long Island, NY to Maine (we know we want to see Arcadia National Park, but are open beyond that. We will be going during the 3rd week of July. We are interested in beautiful views, especially waterfalls, great food & dessert, art, quaint towns, port towns, light hiking and other activities that are not too strenuous, etc. We'd love to make any worthwhile stops along the way, and possibly spend a night somewhere to cut our drive. I've sadly, never been to Vermont, R.I., or any other states N. of me, with the exception of Boston and Conn. I am open to suggestions. Thanks!!
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-29-2012 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Moved to its own thread.

Tucson, AZ

Default Start the Vacation Early

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The first suggestion that I'd make for your drive is to get to open, scenic road as soon as possible. That means, in my opinion, that no matter how far west on Long Island you are, that you begin by heading east to Orient Point rather than going through NYC and up the Connecticut coast. Taking the ferry from Orient Point over to New London will just put you in a better frame of mind than fighting a lot of traffic, and also put you in a better position to see some of the scenic bits of the southern New England coast such as Mystic, some of the beachfront state parks in Rhode Island, and the 'Cottages' at Newport. Even with a couple of stops along the way and taking the I-495 beltway around Boston, you should be able to make Portsmouth NH by the end of your first day's drive. Portsmouth is a picturesque seaport town with everything from sloops to nuclear submarines using its harbor, has some great seafood restaurants (Newick's and Warren's to name a couple) and a restored living history section, Strawbery Banke.

The next day you can work your way up the Maine coast to Bar Harbor while having and taking time to drive out onto some of the peninsulas that form the 'rock-ribbed' coast. Two of my favorite such destinations are Boothbay Harbor south of Wiscasset and Pemaquid Point south of Damariscotta.

Maine and New England in general are not known for waterfalls, but if you decide after Acadia to head north and inland to see a a bit more of New England then check out the Flume in Franconia Notch State Park (New Hampshire).

Last edited by AZBuck; 06-29-2012 at 03:17 PM.