1. Default Seattle to New York mid-July

My daughter is moving from Seattle to Ithaca and we'll be keeping her company on the drive across the country. We're planning to leave Seattle on July 18 and need to be in Ithaca, NY on/about August 1. Current stops include:

Steamboat Springs, Colorado - July 21-23 (Saturday through Monday - to see family).

We'd like to stop in Osh Kosh, Wisconsin for the air show which runs July 23 - July 29 (for one day)

Any suggestions for other things that we can fit in on this drive or suggested routes?

Thanks!

Welcome!

You can drive from Seattle to Steamboat in 2 long days via I-90/I-82/I-84/US-40, so it looks like you have a day to play with. You may want to look at maps and see if there are any sights you want to see in between. Our Map Wizard (green toolbar, planning tools, roadtrip maps) will also show you attractions along or near your route.

Steamboat to Oshkosh is a 2 to 2.5 day drive. Oshkosh to Ithaca can be done in 1.5 to 2 days. You have plenty of time to play with here, so you could wander just about anywhere that meets your fancy.

Fastest route from Steamboat to Oshkosh is to work your way up to I-80 to Iowa City, then I-380 to Cedar Rapids, then US-151 the rest of the way. I would highly recommend you go through Rocky Mountain National Park and spend at least a day there.

Fastest route from Oshkosh to Ithaca is US-41 to Milwaukee, I-94 to Chicago, then I-80 to Cleveland, I-90 to I-86 to Horseheads, then NY-13 to Ithaca. You could spend a day or so in Chicago, if you have any interest in amusement parks you will be going right by Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH.

3. Default

Thanks very much for your response!

We've been to Steamboat/Colorado many times and have a full itinerary there with my son (off-road ATV's, mountain biking, etc.). Still doing (actually just starting) research on how to fill in the rest of the trip and will definitely look at the Map Wizard for some ideas. (The trip is very last minute in the making).

I'd love to hear from anyone who has been to the airshow in OshKosh to see if it's reasonable to go there without any advance reservations, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions - I'm sure I'll be checking back as we get our plans a litte more firmly in place.

I would expect reservations to be essential. You will be paying a premium rate, and you may have to look in places like Green Bay to find something suitable. Click on Hotels & Cars in the toolbar and see what you can find - I'm seeing places like Super 8 at 100 bucks a night.

I've gone to the EAA Museum several times, but I've never gone up during the fly-in as that's just a little to crowded for my tastes.

I'd certainly expect you'd need reservations to stay anywhere near the area (Oshkosh, Appleton, Fond Du Lac).

If you go farther out, you're more likely to have more luck, although based on the rest of your trip, I wouldn't be looking at Green Bay, just because its out of the way. You could look at Sheboygan or the NW Suburbs of Milwaukee (Germantown, Menomonee Falls, West Bend, Wauwatosa) which shouldn't be seriously impacted.

Since you just want to visit for a day, you could spend the night before in Madison, and then spend the following night in one of those places. Or if you'd prefer to spend 2 nights in the same hotel, you could just go up through Milwaukee, by using I-80/I-88/I-39/I-43/US-45 via Davenport and Rockford rather than using the US-151 option through Cedar Rapids and Madison that GLC mentioned earlier.

6. Default

Thanks. What about suggestions for stops/sights to see on the drive from Steamboat Sprints to Oshkosh?

Rocky Mountain NP is the obvious stop just outside of Steamboat. From there, it wouldn't be too far out of your way to detour up into South Dakota to Mount Rushmore, the Black Hills, and the Badlands.

If you want to stick to a more direct route, Here's a lot of possibilities right along I-80. And of course, check out RTA's map center which would give you lots more ideas for things right along the way.