Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Coast Road Trip LA to San Francisco

Hi there,

My husband and I are planning a trip to USA in November and we are after ideas/suggestions for a road trip from LA to Vegas, including San Fran, Lake Tahoe and Yosemite along the way. We have 16 days in total but plan to spend quite a few days in both LA and Vegas.

I have driven with my family from LA to San Fran as a teenager and loved it, so I would like to take my husband back this time.

Not sure what the weather is like in these parts in early November, particularly in Lake Tahoe and Yosemite, but hopefully it is an ok time to be travelling.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks,

Caz

Default A loop ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

With 16 days available and with the sights you wish to see you might consider doing a complete loop and start and finish in the same place. The cheapest combo of flight and rental costs would be the best option for me !

So for example, if you start in LA you could head to Vegas [Grand canyon first would be an option] and then towards Lake Tahoe and Yosemite via Death valley, San Fran and back down the scenic Pacific coast highway to LA. [Putting the ocean on your side of the road as you head south]

Travelling in November can be perfect, but at higher elevations in particular, such as in the Sierra Nevada roads are at risk of closing for the season, the most famous being the Tioga pass into Yosemite. You will face the possibility of winter conditions anywhere, but that's the weather for you, unpredictable. You won't know exactly what it will be doing unil it happens or a few days before and even then you could come across a temporary closure following, or during a storm. If it's closed you could continue to Tahoe and enter Yosemite from the west of the mountains, although you will also need to check the road status of others as you go.

The links in this thread hold many ideas of things you could do, so do a little research and come back as questions crop up.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 06-24-2012 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks Southwest Dave. That gives us something to think about. We will definitely do some more research and check out the thread. You might be hearing from me again soon!

Default Silly me ! [Link]

It would have helped had I entered the link to the thread that I mentioned. Doh !

Here it is.

You will find more info by scrolling down this page where you will find 'Similar Threads' and you can repeat on each one you open. Will look forward to hearing from you again soon.

I thought 'similar threads' was the thread you were referring too.. the link is even better! Thanks!

Default Coast road trip from Los Angeles to San Francisco

Hi,

My husband, myself and another couple are heading to USA in Oct/Nov and we are planning a road trip from Los Angeles to San Francisco stopping overnight in the Carmel - Monterey area along the way.

We would like to take the coast road as we have heard the scenary is spectacular... can anyone recommend some must-see stops along the way please? Hearst Castle is on our list.

Any advice about the coast road, road conditions, sight seeing etc would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Carolyn

Moderator Note: Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 08-25-2012 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Merged

My apologies for creating a new post, but our plans have changed since my previous post in June and I am asking about a specific leg of our journey, namely taking the coast road from LA to San Francisco. None of the recommended links from my previous post relate to our new travel plans so I was simply asking a question again.

How can I delete my original post and start again because now that my questions have been merged, the title is not relevant to my new question! Thanks.

First of all, let me start by saying if you don't think the previously recommended threads relate to your new plans, then you need to look at them again. Nearly all of those threads include information - some quite detailed - about traveling along the coast highway, in addition to the other places you were previously discussing.

Second, the very reason we have a policy of one thread per trip is so that everyone has the full context of your entire trip, including how it may have changed from your original idea. Its not uncommon at all for a trip plan to dramatically change from a first draft, although, honestly I don't even really see how that applies, because traveling along the coast was a part of your original plan.

Its perfectly fine that you want to post again asking for additional information and details about a specific leg, but it does belong here, along with your original post and the advice on the topic you've already received. The same will be true if you have other specific questions about other specific legs of your trip in the future.

Midwest Michael, I have just looked through the recommended threads again and to be honest I find it confusing as it is not only LA to San Fran which is what I am looking for. Thanks.

Default Here's why.

Hi Carolyn. I understand your confusion. If you read through these forums you will find that many, if not the majority of trips change dramatically. Still keeping it in one thread is of great help to those giving advice... and others who may come along later to read it. It may help if you could outline your changed plans. Or is the complete trip starting in LA and ending in SF?

Quote Originally Posted by Caz.1978 View Post
    Hi,

My husband, myself and another couple are heading to USA in Oct/Nov and we are planning a road trip from Los Angeles to San Francisco stopping overnight in the Carmel - Monterey area along the way.

We would like to take the coast road as we have heard the scenary is spectacular... can anyone recommend some must-see stops along the way please? Hearst Castle is on our list.

Any advice about the coast road, road conditions, sight seeing etc would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Carolyn
    As for the coast roadtrip. Are you planning on driving from LA to Monterey / Carmel area in one day, including visiting Hearst Castle? It would be a very long time in the car, with little or no time to do any sightseeing. The coastal road is a two day drive, with a stop usually around Cambria / San Simeon. That would put you in a good position to visit Hearst Castle. Be sure to book your tour for late on the first day, or early on the second.

You don't say where in Oz you are from, but belief me, the coastal road is every bit as spectacular as The Great Ocean Road in Vic. However, I find that it is best driven, and I find it more enjoyable to drive it from North to South. That way all the scenic pull outs are on your side of the road, eliminating the necessity to cross over oncoming traffic each time you turn in, and out of, a scenic viewpoint.

That last point is also why we prefer to know the complete intended roadtrip. We can often help people rearrange their trip, so that they drive the PCH from North to South.

Enjoy the planning.

Lifey