1. Default Need help on places to visit between Cleveland, OH and Chicago, IL

My kids (ages 8 and 10) and I are driving from New York to Minnesota and back this summer. We're going to hit the cities and major sites (and baseball games), but we'd love some tips on midwestern sites and stopping points. Also, any recommendations on places to stay would be appreciated, too.

Default Highlights and Others

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You don't say where in New York you're starting from, where in Minnesota you're going to, or how much time you have for the journey, so I'll assume: New York City, Minneapolis, and enough time to make the kinds of stops you're asking about. In that case, the highlights of such a trop would be the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky OH, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, Wisconsin Dells, and Circus World in Baraboo WI. Besides those 'large' stops where you could spend hours to days, there are numerous numerous smaller stops just right for quick breaks from the tedium of driving.

AZBuck

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AZBuck View Post
    Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

You don't say where in New York you're starting from, where in Minnesota you're going to, or how much time you have for the journey, so I'll assume: New York City, Minneapolis, and enough time to make the kinds of stops you're asking about. In that case, the highlights of such a trop would be the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, the Cleveland Museum of Natural History, Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky OH, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, Wisconsin Dells, and Circus World in Baraboo WI. Besides those 'large' stops where you could spend hours to days, there are numerous numerous smaller stops just right for quick breaks from the tedium of driving.

AZBuck

Thanks. We've mapped out a lot (we've done the Delaware Water Gap): Hershey Park, Pittsburgh Pirates game, a night in Cleveland, but I was thinking about both Cuyahoga and Cedar Point. I suppose Indiana Dunes is the next thing after Cedar Point, but I was hoping to visit something in between to avoid staying in Sandusky and yet not have to make it all the way to Chicago after a day at the roller coasters. Let me know if you have any tips about that stretch. We are staying in Cleveland one night, we have a night in between that is open, and then we're in Chicago for the next two nights.

I don't know how far I'd want to drive after a day at Cedar Point, but Toledo is only about an hour from Sandusky, and it has a good choice of hotels real close to the toll road.

Speaking of toll roads, if you don't have an EZ-Pass, you should get one, it works all the way into Chicago.

It's about 4 hours into Chicago from Toledo, traffic permitting, and you do gain an hour due to the time zone change. I would try to get there before 2pm or so to avoid rush hour.

5. Default

Thanks for the tip on Toledo. We might try that just to get a jump on the next leg of the trip. And I'll keep in mind possibly staying in Sandusky, too.

If you've never seen the Notre Dame Campus at South Bend, it's pretty impressive.

If you're looking for a place to go after Cedar Point, I don't think I would push beyond Toledo. Its easy to forget just how tiring it can be to spend the day walking around the park and riding the coasters. Not to mention, the park is usually open until 10pm, and if its a busy day, you'll need to be there for most all of the day to get in all the major rides.

I was just there yesterday, and I was out basically as soon as my head hit the pillow after I got back - and I was staying only 15-20 minutes away from the park.

If you are going to be spending time in Chicago you may want to take the kids to the Museum of Science and Industry. Also beware of the tolls in the Chicago Metro Area.