1. Default Single day trip portland to Vanouver, BC . Most scenic route

I am soon going to travel in 1 day from portland, or to Vancouver, BC and have pretty much the whole day to do it, but only that day.
    Am wondering which would be the most scenic route. The two options I'm considering is rental car ( expensive) and drive or take the Amtrak train. Am wondering which is likely to be more scenic.

Melbourne, Australia

Default Road or Train?

Hi, and Welcome to the The Great American RoadTrip Forum.

Considering this is a roadtrip forum, you are not likely to get too many suggesting you take the Amtrak. On the other hand, you do not make it clear if this is a one way trip, or if you will be coming back. What is the purpose of the trip?

With a rental car you will have the problem that you will not be able to pick one up in Portland, and drop it in Vancouver. Although many companies allow you to cross the border with a rental car, I am not aware of any which allow you to leave it there. And if you were to find one, there would most likely be a hefty one way fee attached to the deal.

Get yourself a good map of Washington State, such as the AAA produce. These all have the scenic routes marked. It is some years since I was up that way, so can't recall off the top of my head.

3. Default

Thanks. Purpose is to travel and join group vacationing around vancouver to jasper.

You can do the oneway rental from a few rental agencies not many, its expensive.
    Appreciate your help. Thanks again.

Joplin MO

Why not drop the car in Seattle and take the bus to Vancouver? That should be a considerable savings.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Why not drop the car in Seattle and take the bus to Vancouver? That should be a considerable savings.
    Thanks for your reply. Could certainly do that. What I'm wondering is if it would be worth doing the drive to go along the coast on noninterstate roads or just go straight up I5. Is scenery good on I5 or better driving along the coast. Probably would turn a 5 hour drive into a 8 or 9 hour drive by my reckoning.

Green County, Wisconsin

If its me, I'm looking to either take Amtrak or just take a bus the whole way. To me, its just not going to be worth the time, headaches, or hassles to rent a car for just part of the trip, and its not going to be worth the extreme expense of doing a rental across the border.

Don't get me wrong, there's enough stuff to do between Portland and Vancouver to easily fill an entire week, but just the drive alone on I-5 would take half a day, so you don't have a ton of time to work with, even in the best case. I'd stick to public transit, and use whatever extra time you might have to do a little exploring in Vancouver, before you meet up with your group.