Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Denver to Salt lake city via Yellowstone

Afternoon all, used this site to help with our trip back in April and the advice and knowledge was fantastic, this time i'm looking for some help for my parents who are landing in Denver 10th September and fly out of Salt Lake City on the 17th September, they would like a Route if possible taking in Yellowstone and Grand Tetons, Not too much driving, maybe 5 - 6 hrs first day as they pick there vehicle up at 7.30am and then a base or two within Yellowstone for which to explore. Would i be correct in recommending them to drive north and come into Yellowstone via the Bear tooth Pass or go west through Steamboat springs/Flaming Gorge/Jackson etc

regards Andy

If they are arriving in Denver at 7:30am, I'm going to assume they are either on a red-eye or a very early morning flight, and I don't think I'd recommend driving another 5-6 hours on top of that. I'd have them look at heading towards Rocky Mountain National Park, which will let them ease into their trip, but have lots of options if they have lots of energy.

I'd say that going to either Cody or Beartooth could be good options to start the trip into Yellowstone. They could then head into the Tetons and head back to SLC through Jackson.

3. Default

Thanks Michael, going to find out shortly but I think they are only on a internal flight from Knoxville as they will be in the states 2 weeks prior to this, doing some travelling with friends from Washington through the smokey mountains etc, would like to know where would be a good place to stop for 1 night en - route to red lodge, was then thinking of a night in Red lodge, 3 nights around West Yellowstone and 2 nights in Jackson or 1 night Jackson and the last night Somewhere a bit closer to SLC as i think the car has to be back early on the 17th for there flight home,

regards
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 06-20-2012 at 08:15 AM. Reason: In line response. Removed quote for easier reading.

Even if they are flying from the eastern US, it still means that they would have been up since the very early hours. A 7:30 arrival still means that they'd have to wake up around 2-3 am Mountain Time to make that flight, assuming its a non-stop flight.

However, even more to the point, Rocky Mtn National Park is a great place to stop and explore.

If they only want to see Yellowstone/Tetons, then it would probably make more sense, in both distance and cost, to fly in and out of Salt Lake City (or even one of the smaller airports closer to Yellowstone, like Jackson or Billings.)

5. Default

Cheers again, yes makes sense to me not to travel too far after an early start and 3hr flight, will look into Rocky Mtn National park, there flights are already booked into Denver and out of SLC so no room for change on that

regards
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 06-20-2012 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Removed quote for easier reading.

In order to reach Red Lodge in one day, they need to make it to at least Cheyenne the day prior. This would be about 500 miles (9 hours) via I-25/I-90/US-212.

Jackson to SLC is an easy 1 day's drive, it's only about 300 miles (6 hours).

If they are elderly they may have issues with the high altitudes, they should not plan on doing anything strenuous, especially on the first day.

From DIA, they can get to Estes Park in about 2 hours via E-470 (make arrangements with the rental agency in regards to tolls), I-25, CO-66, and US-36. Back out, it's about 2 hours to Cheyenne via US-34 and I-25. From Estes Park, it's probably 1 to 1.5 hours each way to the visitor's center up top via Trail Ridge Road.

Another option would be to go directly from DIA to Casper - about 5 hours - then the drive from there to Red Lodge would be about 6 hours. There aren't very many lodging choices between Cheyenne and Casper.

7. Default

Thanks for that, going to have a word with them but think it may be a little easier for them coming in from the south side of Yellowstone, probably an overnight somewhere enroute to jackson, a few nights in jackson then up into Yellowstone for 3 nights, then travel to SLC for an overnight airport hotel before they fly home
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-20-2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: inline quote not needed here

The Beartooth is WELL worth it.

However, here's another option.

Out of DIA, take E-470/I-25 to Loveland, then take US-34 through Big Thompson Canyon to Estes Park. Have a hotel room booked, do some exploring around town and in the park, spend the night there. On the next day, take Trail Ridge Road over the top and out the west side, and take US-40 toward Steamboat Springs. Spend the night there or in Craig, then you can make Jackson in one day via CO-13/WY-789/I-80/US-191.

There is no lodging that I'm aware of between Craig and Rock Springs.

9. Default

Cheers again, Would it be possible once there in the heart of Yellowstone, taking a day to do the Bear tooth pass, also any recommendations on where to stay for 3 nights in Yellowstone, they are in there 60's and early 70's,

regards

The logistics of the Beartooth are such that it's really best to use it to either go into Yellowstone or go out. As a day trip from Yellowstone, you either have to turn around and go back the same way or drive a bunch of miles to go around and back in a different route. It would be a full day's evolution.

I personally can't recommend any lodging inside the park, but I have stayed in the Evergreen Motel in West Yellowstone. It's a restored and renovated 50's style roadside motel, rates in the middle of September are in the $110 a night range. Nothing is cheap in West Yellowstone in season.

Here is the site for lodging inside the park.