Default Southwest Circuit

Plotting my next drive through the magical Southwest starting and finishing in Dallas.

The draft plan sees me travelling through I-35, I-10, I-25, I-17, I-15, I-40 and stopping over at the following destinations.

Austin
    San Antonio
    Fort Stockton
    Las Cruces
    Tucson
    Kingman
    Somewhere in NV*
    Zion
    Amangiri
    Santa Fe
    Amarillo
    Wichita Falls
    Dallas

*I need some ideas for a good stopover between Kingman and Zion. I dont particularly want to bunk in Las Vegas, somewhere North west along I-15 perhaps.

Amangiri to Santa Fe might be a stretch too. Maybe some of the experts here have a better gague on the distance and a place to stopover between.

I'm thinking 21 days for the round trip. I have a few attractions in mind and have built the route roughly around those attractions. I particularly want to see some more of New Mexico and immerse myself in the culture a bit more. I am a chilli addict. Probably wont be able to go before 2014 but hoping to go where there's more daylight but less heat. Back end of spring or early fall?

Default Plenty to see.

It would certainly be possible to get from Amangiri to Santa Fe the same day, but much will come down to how much time you have available and what you want to see. Bryce canyon, Antelope canyon, Monument valley, Canyon De Chelley, Four corners and Mesa Verde are all things that could be considered.

Kingman to Zion is a much easier day on the road and you would not have to stop overnight on this leg. You could visit Valley of Fire and stop in Mesquite or St George though. As you have no wish to stay in Vegas, have you considered heading up through Page AZ from Tucson ? Nothing wrong with Kingman, but given the choice I would rather spend a night at Bryce canyon for example.

Having read on, I see you are planning 21 days so you would have time to stop along the way and explore. Where really comes down to your interests.

I love to travel in October around these parts. The days are getting shorter but the temps are generally good and the crowds have gone, but Spring is also an option.

Cheers Dave

Monument Valley and Four Corners I could probably pass on this time.

Page is certainly an option. I'm also hoping to have a Route 66 experience.

If you say Kingman - Zion is an easier route, and I had 2-3 days to kill, would you see anything wrong with going Tuscon - Holbrook - Kingman - Zion? I know that involves driving through Apache reservation. Are the road conditions and scenery worthwhile?

other thoughts from Tucson are Ash Fork (via Phoenix), east to Flagstaff and hanging a left on 89.

If you say Kingman - Zion is an easier route, and I had 2-3 days to kill, would you see anything wrong with going Tuscon - Holbrook - Kingman - Zion? I know that involves driving through Apache reservation. Are the road conditions and scenery worthwhile?
    This route can be completed on main US highways and will not pose any problems. From Holbrook to Kingman you can get on route 66 through Seligman.

other thoughts from Tucson are Ash Fork (via Phoenix), east to Flagstaff and hanging a left on 89.
    I'm also hoping to have a Route 66 experience.
    It's a possibility that will come down to personal choice really, although Ash Fork to Williams [a route 66 town] will be on I40 as it is east of the '66 section through Seligman to Kingman.