1. Default RoadTrip or Cruise?

My Fiancee and I are trying to decide if we should do a road trip or cruise. I would love to find a secluded cabin with a hot tub in South Dakaota or Colorado and do some sigh seeing during the day and having a few drinks and enjoying the cabin at night. We don't want to do a ton of driving, so was thinking something under 10 hours. We live in MN west of the twin cities. He would also like to see house on the rock as he has been to SD before, Macinac Island sounds great too, but it's over 12 hours away. I started calculating renting a cabin, paying for all our meals, etc. and I feel like if we do a road trip it's going to cost well over $1,000 anyway, so why not do a cheaper cruise for just over $2,000-$3,000. We don't have a lot of money and will try to have kids right away, so I feel like this is our only chance to go on a nice vacation for a while. I think the SD/roadtrip/Macinac Island is something we can do years down the line with our children. Any advice or other ideas for romantic road trip? We would go anywhere from April to September next year, and we can only be gone about a week. I would like to do some kayaking, maybe a hike one day, fishing I love. I'm not a sit on the beach all day person so that's why I decided not to do anything out of the country and I feel like there's so much in the US I have not seen yet. Thanks everyone!!
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-18-2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Moved to its own thread.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default open book

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

As you might imagine, if you come to a roadtrip forum, you probably won't have a lot of people recommend that you take a cruise! Personally, the ability to do what I want, when I want, wherever I want, sounds a whole lot better than being forced to sit on a floating city for days at a time, only being able to tightly scheduled "excursions." Also keep in mind that when you add in things like airfare, and those extra trips, you can end up paying quite a bit more than the sticker price.

I will also say that you never have to stop doing roadtrips, they can be great family activities, but they are also quite different when its just the two of you.

I will also throw out the idea that if you are willing to spend the extra money for a cruise, then you could also consider doing a fly and drive trip, and may go out west, to places like Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, or anything else like that which strikes your interest.

If you decide to stick closer to home, there are a lot of options. If you're thinking mackinac island, then you might also look at heading up to Duluth and do a trip along Lake Michigan, either going along the north short, or going across Wisconsin and the UP to places like the Apostle Islands, Isle Royale, or Pictured Rocks. You might also look at heading up to the boundary waters. Or if you want to head west, you could look at North Dakota's badlands at Teddy Roosevelt National Park. That could even be part of a loop to South Dakota. On the extreme end, if you can extend things out to 9 or 10 days, places like Yellowstone and the Tetons could be an option too.