1. Default Yosemite to NJ w/4 young kids, how quick?

Hi! The longest roadtrip I have ever done is 8 hours (and only once at that), which is nothing compared to the 2700 miles we are planning this August due to a cross country move.

We will be driving from Yosemite to New Jersey (maps say the quickest way is the I-80 all the way across) with 4 kids, ages 6, 4, 2, and 8 months. I am trying to get an idea of how quickly we (2 drivers) can make this trip with the kids? I am not really interested in stopping to see the sights because I don't think the kids will get much out of it at their ages, plus school starts the following week, so my goal is to get there and settled.

So, how many miles/hours is reasonable per day? Is it better to drive early (leave early/quit early) or late (leave later/drive late at night)? I want to get there quickly, but I want to be safe and I don't want it to be unreasonably hard on the kids.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Default

Oh, and yes, I know we will need to stop every 2-3 hours to feed the baby and potty breaks. What is the best way to locate a park or somewhere the kids can burn off some energy?

Melbourne, Australia

Hi, and Welcome to the The Great American RoadTrip Forum.

When our five were young, we would get away as early as we could... around 8am, and try to stop by 4pm... 5pm at the latest, to allow the children time to get familiar with their new surroundings before bedtime. It will be quite unsettling for them, sleeping in a different place each night. Make sure you bring their favourite blanket and pillow.

You will find that every town has a park and playground for the children to let off steam, while you feed the baby. You may also like to check out this thread for places to stop near major highways.

Another site which may be helpful to you is Room for 5 - hotels which cater for more than four persons in a room.

You're braver than I... I would be flying for a trip of this length.

South of England.

Default 6 days.

Travelling for 8 hours [plus] per day with rest stops, you will need to allow 6 days for the journey. I wouldn't recommend trying to push any harder day after day with young children and their needs to consider. That would mean looking for overnight stops of between 450 and 500 miles apart. I would start out as early as resonably possible, without adding stress in trying to rush to get ready, and have regular breaks along the way to let the Kids run around a bit and let off steam. A local park/Playground would do the trick plus a nice quiet spot for lunch where they can run around a little. Keep them entertained with the thought of 'fun' stops and it will be more enjoyable for all !

When travelling try and stop the night to the east of any major town/City so that when you are hitting the road in the morning, the worst of the rush hour traffic will be heading in the opposite direction, towards town.

Joplin MO

I would be looking at overnights around:

Elko or Wells NV
    Rock Springs or Rawlins WY
    Kearney NE
    Davenport IA (no rush hour issues to speak of)
    Elyria OH (right off the turnpike, you won't have a morning Cleveland rush hour issue if you get right back on the turnpike)

I would try to get on the road no later than 9am, and off for the day around dinnertime.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Don't start so early in the day!

What makes much more sense is to stay at the motel (if it has a pool) at least until 11:00 am and let the kids burn some energy in the pool. They're not supposed to be on work-day trip. It's a summer holiday road trip. On the road hours can be noon to ~ 8:00 pm -- about time to go to bed when you check in.

For more proven Family RoadTrip tips look at this article I penned...