1. Default From HV area NY to Florida best route to avoid Balt., DC areas..

What is the best possible route from the Hudson Valley area in NY to Florida. I Want to avoid the Balt, Wash DC area at all costs.

Welcome aboard RTA!

While we don't recommend "best routes" on RTA, we understand your frustration with the idea of going through the Baltimore and Washington DC area along I-95. My husband and I are going to try the following, on recommendation from a fellow RTA member:

I-87 south to I-295 (or the NJ Turnpike). Then US-13 through Dover down to the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel to cross into VA and NC. At New Bern, NC, catch I-17. It will dump you off on the southern end of I-95, but at least you've avoided the major metro area.

We'll be trying this within a few weeks, so if your trip isn't soon, you can watch for my Road Trip Report and we'll let you know how our experience has gone (albeit in reverse, as we are going south to north).

Donna

Welcome to the RTA forum!

The easiest way to avoid the NY-DC I-95 corridor and stick to the freeways is to take I-81. You'd probably want to get on it at Scranton via I-84. You can then use I-77 and I-26 to rejoin I-95 in South Carolina.

4. Default

Whenever I've been in the Hampton Roads area of VA, I've always gotten stuck in traffic. I think the I-81 route is the best choice for an easy drive.

Not sure if you just don't like driving near cities or you are worried specifically about the Baltimore/DC traffic, but if you time it just right (midday Mon-Thurs), the traffic there isn't usually that bad.

Default From the frying pan to the fire?

Hello Anthony,

While I respect the advice of all RTA regulars, including the very experienced RoadTripper DonnaR57, my own tastes in long-distance travel have me shuddering at the notion of avoiding urban congestion in Baltimore/DC by taking US 13 and US 17 (notice it's not I-17) all the way from the southern end of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel to Savannah or points south of there. The reason is simple: US 13 and US 17 pass through dozens of small to medium towns and cities, are mostly 2-lane, and feature what must amount to hundreds of stoplights as they cross NC and SC. And yes, hitting the south end of the CBBT at either morning or afternoon rush hours earns you an hour or more Baltimore/DC style congestion, to boot. The Myrtle Beach "Grand Strand" involves some 50 miles of resort area congestion, and while US 17 is a bypass route there, there are many, many stoplights and much summertime congestion.

In May 2007, we drove to Kingston, NY for graduation weekend at West Point. We took the I-81/I-84 route through Scranton to I-87 (at Newburgh?) and on up the short hop to Kingston from there. Did it on a weekday when passing closer to NYC would have taken place at afternoon rush hour. If I recall correctly, it was about 70 miles further than it would have been from our Raleigh, NC home, but that represented < 1 hour extra, an hour we'd surely have lost to congestion in the NYC area had we gone straight up I-95.

We did it a bit differently than the "all I-81 option" inasmuch as we took I-95 from Richmond to just above Fredericksburg, thence US 17 north to US 15, and US 15 to Harrisburg, PA, where we picked up I-81 to Scranton. We'd planned to come up I-95 and do a work-around further north, but congestion at mid-day over 50 miles south of DC "got to me" and I started bushwhacking right then. There are a few miles of 2-lane on US 15 and some stoplights along US 17 which weren't much fun, but I don't regret taking the route.

Depending upon exactly where in FL you're headed to, I-81 past I-77 to I-75 at Knoxville may be worth considering. You'll certainly want to avoid passing Atlanta on I-75 at rush hour if that's the case.

Foy

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Foy View Post
    Hello Anthony,
    We'd planned to come up I-95 and do a work-around further north, but congestion at mid-day over 50 miles south of DC "got to me" and I started bushwhacking right then. There are a few miles of 2-lane on US 15 and some stoplights along US 17 which weren't much fun, but I don't regret taking the route.

Foy
    It sounds like you got unlucky with I-95 that day. I used to commute on 95 in Northern VA on a daily basis, and it really isn't usually slow if you know the right time of day to use it.

I'm also quite familiar with 17 and 15 in VA - sometimes they are fine, but if you hate traffic, you'd also want to avoid them during busy times.

We can be more specific if you could list your starting and ending cities. "Hudson Valley" and "Florida" are just a bit vague.