1. Default NYC-LV-LA-SFR-detour-SEA-VAN

Two friends and I (from Europe) want to go on a pretty big road trip in summer 2013. I am going to be overseas for a while before that so we're starting to plan already.
    Facts:
    - 5-6 weeks time, end of June till end of July/beginning of August.
    - money is not a huge issue, though we don't want to spend much more than needed.
    - NYC is the only place we're planning on staying for 4 nights, the rest is either 1 night in all the NP (in a tent) and Hotels/Motels on the way. We have included 2-3 'reserve nights' in case someone gets sick, we're tired of the road or if we want to stay somewhere for longer.

ROUTE: We're starting in NY (rental car) where we'll spend 4 nights then drive all the way to Las Vegas in pretty much one go, visiting Grand Canyon on the way and sleeping somewhere when we're too tired to go on.
    Then we're going to Death Valley and Sequoia. The next city stop is L.A. but we just wanna see the major sights and we're off again. From L.A. we drive along the coast to San Francisco... we're not sure how to go on after that. When we look at the map it looks like a huge detour but we're not sure if there is a better way. Anyway. Next stop is Grand Teton and Yellowstone NPs and then we sort of make our way back to the coast to the Olympic NP and Seattle. We want to give back the rental car in Seattle and take the bus to Vancouver which is our final destination.

Do you think this is too much to see? I'd hate it if we were in such a hurry that we would miss all the fun!
    Also, we really don't know what there is to see on the way from NYC to Grand Canyon... is there something really great we should definitely see?

edited to add: all 3 of us can drive though we are not used to such long distances. It is also the first time in the US for me, the other two have been to Las Vegas and some of the National Parks but nothing as major as we're planning now.
    Last edited by adventures; 06-09-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Default A re-think needed.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

ROUTE: We're starting in NY (rental car) where we'll spend 4 nights then drive all the way to Las Vegas in pretty much one go, visiting Grand Canyon on the way and sleeping somewhere when we're too tired to go on.
    I'm a little confused here when you say " in one go". This is a 5 day drive that you could possibly push into 4 days but either option won't leave you with time for sight seeing and with 5 days would only afford you a quick peak at the Grand canyon. With 4 days you would need to skip GC and would arrive in Vegas exhausted and most likely hating each other !

You have a nice amount of time to make the trip happen, but you might first need to understand how huge the distances are and how big the country is !

Is there something great between NY and the Grand canyon ? You betcha, a million and one things at least ! You talk about National Parks, but you will be charging through the areas that has the highest concentration of them with no time to stop. Colorado, Utah and AZ have plenty, such as Rocky mountain, Black canyon, Mesa Verde, Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce canyon, Zion, Grand canyon and much more such as Monument Valley and Hoover Dam.

I think you need to do a lot of research by looking around RTA and getting a good paper map and sit down together and talk about your goals. You should not plan on travelling more than 550-600 miles per day and that is with basic stops only, no major sight seeing.

You could spend 10 days getting to Vegas and only scratch the surface of what 's out there. Do not think that you can match the times set by computer mapping programs, they do not have the need to sleep, eat, go to the loo or fill with fuel. Never mind having to deal with traffic and construction delays.

If you are in that much of a hurry to get to Vegas I would fly and start the road trip from there.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post

I'm a little confused here when you say " in one go". This is a 5 day drive that you could possibly push into 4 days but either option won't leave you with time for sight seeing and with 5 days would only afford you a quick peak at the Grand canyon.
    First of all, thank you for your reply!
    How do I explain... we want to cover as much miles as possible when we start in New York. Our true road trip starts in Las Vegas. Originally we wanted to fly from New York to Las Vegas but I am a)terrified of flying and b)wanted to see more of the US, also more of the rural US than we'd see if we started from Las Vegas. So getting to Las Vegas is more like a means to an end than anything else.

Concerning the National Parks. We decided to only visit Grand Canyon, Sequoia, Death Valley, Yellowstone, Grand Teton and Olympic National Forest because the other two have already been to the other ones and don't want to go there again and I'm okay with that. I personally am more of a city person anyway. The other reason we're not planning on staying for a long time at the national parks is because we are all amateur photographers and especially with the canyons, mornings and evenings seem to be the best times to take pictures and with all the people around in July (there are a lot, right?), we figured it would be okay to stay for a little while and move on after that. Some sights we've ruled out because they look our home country (like Yosemite for example).

So if I understand you correctly, if we did it the way we are currently thinking about, we'd end up being really stressed? Because I really do not want that.

I am totally open for criticism and I am so grateful to hear... anything! I just wanted to give more background on us and our plans.

But I wholeheartedly agree, we should definitely REALLY look into it more.

And about the NYC-LV sights: I'd love to see some of the 'real' American towns that are not run over by tourists (like us :D)

Default Slow Down!

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

As I read your plans, I see a lot of running around ("(W)e'll...drive all the way to Las Vegas in pretty much one go."; "(W)e just wanna see the major sights and we're off again.") and not much time allotted tojust appreciating the magnificent scenery, strange(?) culture, local customs, or history that make travel so rewarding. You've got a month to a month and a half for your journey, and the driving - even with detours - can be done in a couple of weeks at most. So there is simply no need for this kind of frenetic pace and it will prove, I'm afraid, counterproductive. One of the hard-learned lessons that I and the other experienced RoadTrippers here try to impart is that travel, particularly RoadTripping, is not about a short list of "must-see" locations to be hurried to, photographed quickly, and then left behind for the next one.

It's the journey itself that is what you'll remember, so slow down and enjoy it. A great example is the proposed drive from New York to Las Vegas. Rather than just sealing yourselves in a steel box, watching the world go by, and getting to Las Vegas in four days (with nothing to show for it), take six days, travel some back roads, and make some stops at venues you'd otherwise just pass by such as the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, the Appalachian Mountains, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Chicago, the Mississippi River, the Oregon Trail, Rocky Mountain National Park, Arches National Park, Zion National Park, the list goes on and on. And you plan to see none of it?!?!? Then there are just the small towns and people of America. Yes, you'll bump into a few at your small number of planned stops, but not in their 'natural habitat'. Again, you've got the time to have a well-paced, in-depth, informative and enjoyable trip. There is simply no need or reason to rush.

Now a few details. Do not get your rental car when you land in New York. First you will pay a number of substantial extra fees and taxes by renting at the airport, and second there is no use - and considerable hassle - in having a car while you are in the city. Use the subways, cabs, and your own feet for your four days in town and then rent the car from an off-airport site when you are ready to leave. That alone should save you acouple of hundred dollars. Also check rates from a European consolidator such as carhire3000 before you come over. They can often get you a better deal, particularly if you are underage (24 or younger) and if you are going to do a one-way rental. One other consideration: since you are just 'friends', you will have to pay extra (again, several hundred dollars) for each 'extra' driver, no matter how little time that person plans to spend behind the wheel. Discuss this and make sure who really wants to drive and how you're going to split that extra expense.

Finally, with 5-6 weeks, you have lots of time for detours, and often on long drives detours that look substantial turn out to be not that bad in terms of miles and time, so don't just write off vast areas of the country without a thorough assessment of const/benefits.

AZBuck

Default 'Stressed' would be best case scenario.

Originally we wanted to fly from New York to Las Vegas but I am a)terrified of flying and b)wanted to see more of the US, also more of the rural US than we'd see if we started from Las Vegas. So getting to Las Vegas is more like a means to an end than anything else.
    This is slightly contradictory. To see more of the USA and in particular rural areas, will not be achieved while getting to Vegas as a 'means to an end'. With 5 days your options would be very limited, but with 6 or seven days at least you could stop and 'smell the roses'. You won't see much at all at 70mph on Interstate, especially after dark ! ;-)

So if I understand you correctly, if we did it the way we are currently thinking about, we'd end up being really stressed?
    I think so and to be brutally honest, to try and get to Vegas in "one go" you might not end up getting anywhere ! It would be extremely unsafe to try and do this and you would be putting yoursleves and those that share the road with you in danger. I would allow 5 days minimum and to have some fun, a week. You have the time, use it wisely !

I'm glad you can take the advice on board and receive criticism. Many can't, but we have your best interests at heart and try to offer advice based on experience to ensure you have the best time possible.

Keep researching and keep asking questions as and when you need to !

Enjoy the planning !

Let's put things in perspective - with you being from Europe. Driving from NYC to Las Vegas is like driving from Copenhagen to Rome - AND BACK.

Default It's a different mindset.

Two friends and I (from Europe) want to go on a pretty big road trip in summer 2013.
    It is sometimes not easy for Europeans to embrace the mindset of a United States RoadTrip. In Europe it is usual to go from place A to place B, with the focus on the destination. The bit in between, the actual trip is something which is to be got over with as quickly as possible.

But in the US it is often as much (if not more) about the actual trip between A and B, as it is about arriving at B. That is why it is called a RoadTrip. The focus is on enjoying and appreciating all there is between A and B. And there is a lot, no matter what your interests are.

Get out your map. Make a list of those things which are of interest to the travelling party. Use your computer to check out what there is in all those places to match the interest of the party. And do this for all the areas along the different routes between A and B.

Enjoy the planning.

Lifey