Default St. Louis to Grand Canyon

I am also planning a trip from St. Louis to the Grand Canyon. I am taking my 17 year old son on a road trip. He enjoys stopping at many of the " see historic...." sights along the way to anywhere USA. We will definitely stop in OK City to see the memorial and in Amarillo to see the Cadillac Ranch and Paladuro Canyon. What are the "don't miss" sights on the way to the Grand Canyon? We will be returning to St. Louis via Denver and would like to know what should see between the Grand Canyon and Denver and between Denver and St. Louis. Our total travel time beginning to end is 10 days

Moderator Note: I moved your post to its own thread so we can focus on the details of your trip!
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 06-09-2012 at 07:10 AM.

Default lots of options

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think you're in shape to have a great trip here.

On the way out, you're following the path of old route 66, so there's no shortage of historic tourist stops. You've already listed several good ones, there's also places like the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa NM, Petroglyphs National Monument in Albuquerque, and the Painted Desert/Petrified Forest in Arizona.

Coming back you've got a lot of options. If you like history, then heading up through Monument Valley, past 4 corners, to Mesa Verde, and then up the Million Dollar Highway from Durango would be a good option. You could also look at route that would take you to Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, or Canyonlands NPs.

Those are some ideas to get you started. Also make sure to check out the RTA Map Center where you can find lots of other interesting and unique stop ideas that would be along your route.

Welcome aboard RTA!

Just south of I-40 in western New Mexico is El Malpais National Monument. There is also the Acoma Pueblo and Mission in the same general area. El Malpais is all about volcanic eruptions causing lava fields -- even if you don't stop at the Natl Mon, you should realize that the interstate is built on top of old hardened lava flows.

In eastern Arizona, right off I-40, is the Painted Desert & Petrified Forest National Park -- definitely a good half-day place. Nearby in Holbrook and Winslow are old remnants of Rt 66 stuff.

St Louis to the Grand Canyon is about a 3 day trip 500 mile a day. St Louis to Denver is about a day and a half (600 miles a day). So plan what's in between accordingly.

Donna