1. Default 30 days LA to LA

Hi there,
    My husband, myself and 7 yr old son have 30 days in an rv to see California. The places we are most interested in are the grand canyon, Yosemite, lake Tahoe and the coast between San Fran and la. We have been to las Vegas on a previous trip. My husband is also interested in seeing Yellowstone but is this too ambitious with our timeframe? We would like to stay off of major highways as much as possible. We are nature lovers with a son who has an incredible passion for wildlife. Any suggestions? Thanks

South of England.

Default Some reading.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You would certainly have time to include Yellowstone and the Tetons in your plan, but on the flip side there is so much more to see in the southwest. In Cali there are Sequoia and Death Valley NP'S [although you might not be allowed to take the RV through Death valley in the summer months] and near the Grand canyon are Sunset Crater, Monument valley, Lake Powell, Antelope canyon and much more. Into Southern Utah and there are more wonderful NP's to be found such as Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonlands. You could cross over into Colorado that holds many other options !

With a month you could still include some of these in your plans and get to Yellowstone, but much will depend on your travel style and at what pace you want to set yourselves. Some people like to stay longer in fewer places and get a more indepth look, and others like to keep on the move getting an overview of many places.

I would study a good map of the USA and use RTA as your research hub and once you have made these types of choices and have dots on the map, we will be in better shape to offer you advice and suggestions for your trip. You will find a lot of info searching the forums with keywords in the custom search box to the top right of this page. Here are a few of our favourite threads covering the Southwest, including our RV trip in the area. Here are two more RV reports including more from Southern Utah and Colorado and this wonderful trip to Yellowstone that is still coming in 'live' from the road.

Yellowstone is still on 'my to do' list, but for wildlife and nature it ticks all the boxes. A trip roughly laid out like so; LA>GC>Zion NP>Bryce canyon>Arches>Tetons [via Dinosaur NM and Flaming Gorge Res and away from Interstate]>Yellowstone>Tahoe>Yosemite>San Fran>LA would be about 3300/3500 miles and 10 days of driving in an RV, while limiting the driving time to 7 or 8 hours per day with rest stops. Of course you can have longer days, or shorter days on the road and you will have plenty of days where you do not travel at all, but hopefully that will give you a base from which to get you started.

You don't say when you are travelling exactly, or whether it be this summer. The one thing you should know is that the National parks are extremely popular with a limited number of RV sites, and unless you can book available sites you are more than likely going to have to stay outside the major the ones. Here you will find the NPS page where you can click on the map and get info on each and every NP.

Enjoy the planning and once the picture becomes clearer, don't hesitate to keep asking questions 'as' and 'when'.

3. Default

With 30 days you would be able to visit Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. In addition to the suggestions above, you might consider a Pacific Northwest loop (No California, Oregon and Washington).

I've just got back from a month in the USA, 3 weeks of which was spent in a campervan around the western states. Our route went along these lines:

LA - Vegas - Grand Canyon - Monument Valley - Zion National Park - Bryce - SLC - Grand Teton - Yellowstone - Jackson - Elko - Lake Tahoe - Yosemite - San Francisco - Big Sur - LA

We had the time of our lives and loved every moment but Yellowstone manages to stick in the mind as the undoubted highlight. The wildlife and geology was fantastic, we spent 4 days there and could have easily spent longer given the time. You would have 8 or 9 days more than us to play with so can confirm that your trip would be easily doable in that time frame.

I think in total we drove just over 4,000 miles and actually a lot of that was crammed into 3 or 4 'driving days' which were very interesting in their own right, allowing us to have a number of days with very little driving leaving plenty of time for hiking and exploring.

If there's anything you'd like my opinion feel free to ask as it is all fresh in my mind, otherwise, have a fantastic time, it was certainly one of the best months of my life!

Hi Turnado,

I was wondering could you elaborate on "3 or 4 'driving days' which were very interesting in their own right" ... What made them so interesting? As Me and a friend are planning to do alot of driving on our own roadtrip.

Its nice to hear you all had the times of your life!