1. Default Washington to Grand Canyon

Hello!! We are preparing to go from Olympia Washington to the grand canyon. All driving, armed with a large pop up camper and two little ones, 2 and 4. We have 12 days. We would like to do mostly camping, but I would like to stay in a hotel every few days or so. Anyway, I'm new to this site and found the route planner and it gives you lots of ideas of things to see and such. Is there an option to find camp grounds and hotels along the way? This is the most frustrating thing in planning this trip, the lodging. We don't limit ourselves to state and national park camp grounds, we can do private grounds as well.

Any advice will help. We aren't too interested in hitting the big cities like Las Vegas or anything on the coast. Our main focus is national parks such as the Grand Canyon, Bryce, Tetons, Arches, etc.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

If you are using the Map Center, there is an option to search for lodging. Below the map on the right-hand side of the screen is the option for a keyword search.
    You can search "along your route" or by clicking on the map. Lodging is denoted with a white flag with an "L" on it.

South of England.

Default A lot to get through in 12 days.

We prefer to stay in the National parks where possible, but to locate campgrounds and lodgings you need to work out what you want to see on the way to GC and how long it will take and the same for the journey home. Once I have a rough idea where my overnights will be, I just put the name of the town or attraction into my search engine along with 'Campgrounds' and check out the results. If I'm not staying in a National or State park, I like to choose privately operated sites where the welcome seems warmer and each has an indivdual feel, rather than the KOA type parks that are set up much the same.

If this is a round trip you do have enough time, but you won't have a lot of time in any one place. To head out to the Tetons /Yellowstone?] and down to Arches, bryce and GC north rim, will be about a 4 day drive, plus time spent in the parks and then a 3 day drive home. Zion NP is another gem not far from Bryce canyon. If you want to stay in any of the parks I would start checking for availability asap as they book out real quick in the summer months and it might already be too late. Some have non-reservable sites available that you may be able to secure if you arrive early[ish] in the morning.

I can't help but wonder if you would be better off to concentrate either on the Grand canyon/Utah area or Yellowstone/Teton area this time, and leave the other choice for another day. If you decided on the GC and went down through SLC into Utah, you could consider heading across the Sierras into Yosemite NP and head home following I5, creating a nice loop.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 06-06-2012 at 04:09 PM.

Green County, Wisconsin

The Map Center does have some lodging choices, but they are typically hotels or campgrounds that are unique or would have some additional draw for a traveler. It's really not designed to be a comprehensive guide to all of your options in terms of regular chain hotels or all of the many camping options you could have.

The shear volume of options for camping and lodging makes it very easy to find a place no matter where you are, but also tough to neatly organize all of that information. I'd recommend, as Dave did, that you start by researching the public park options (national, state, city/county) and a general internet search for the areas you think you might visit. If you really want to have all of your camping options, you could look at purchasing a campground guide, like Woodalls, which is a phone book sized guide with nearly every possible choice you have for camping, both public and private.

Southern California

Another thought for camping ... if you are a AAA member, they put out "CampBooks" for each locale. You can get them along with regular tour books which list hotels. Neither one is comprehensive for an area. Woodall's and TL directories often leave stuff off, so having a couple of different books is a plus.

In a pop-up, you may feel differently about the "need" to stay in hotels every few days. When we were tenting, we stayed in a motel every 3-4 nights for a shower and a more comfortable bed. When we "graduated" to a pop-up, we found that staying every 3-4 nights in a commercial campground with showers satisfied the biggest need we had, as our beds in the pop-up were quite comfortable. The only place where the hotel may have been popular was when in an area that was especially windy, as the tent portion of the rig would blow back and forth.

6. Default

Thank you all so much for the advice!! Much appreciated.