Default New York City to Portland, Oregon

My friend and I are planning a road trip from New York City through Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois (Chicago), Iowa, South Dakota, Montana (maybe the southeastern part), Wyoming, and Idaho. We'll be doing this about mid-July.

Any suggestions on interesting sights? Any tips in general would be appreciated as well :-). Thanks!

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Well, you're going by a few pretty obvious sites, like the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, and Yellowstone. There are many more of course, and resources like the RTA Map Center can help you focus in on things you might enjoy.

Having said that, what have you come up with so far, and how much time do you have for this trip? Are you going one way, or is this a round trip?

Hi Michael!

We haven't come up with much yet--just the usual stuff like Mt. Rushmore and the Badlands, as you suggested :). It's a one way trip and we're planning to take about 2 weeks.
    We'd love to know about some of the less obvious places, and any tips on scenic routes, etc.

Tucson, AZ

Default The Usual Suspects, Then

While RoadTrip America is really all about helping people to plan and execute uniquely personal RoadTrips, tailored specifically to their own interests, pace, and budget, it is also true that there are some attractions along every general major cross-country route that every traveler should at least be aware of and consider, if not necessarily visit on any given trip. Herewith, then, a few along the general route that you'll be following, I-80 to Chicago and I-90 to the Palouse, and I-84 into Portland>

Between New York and Chicago: The Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania, The Pro Football Hall of Fame, Cuyahoga Valley National Park, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cedar Point Amusement Park, Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore.

Between Chicago and the Black Hills: Wisconsin Dells, Circus World, the Mississippi, the Corn Palace, Wall Drug, Badlands National Park.

The Black Hills: Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Wind and Jewel Caves, Sturgis, Deadwood, Devils Tower.

Black Hills to the Rockies: Little Bighorn Battlefield, (Beartooth Highway, Yellowstone).

Rockies to the Sea: the Palouse, the Channeled Scablands, the Columbia River Gorge, the Historic Columbia River Highway.

There are, of course, hundreds of other attractions along the main route and dozens of alternate routes each of which also has hundreds of attractions. That's the joy of RoadTripping. At this point you just need to get a good atlas and start plunging into it and finding some of each (routes and attractions) that appeal to you.