1. Default Indy to Grand Canyon Oct 2013

We are in the planning stages for a trip starting near Indianapolis, going to the Grand Canyon and then home again, in Oct 2013. We'd like any tips/suggestions on routes, roadside attractions, places to eat (or not), etc. Thanks for your help!

Southern California

Welcome aboard RTA!

First thing I'd do is grab a big paper map of the USA, or an atlas, and start looking for things that interest you. That might give you the skeleton of a route. (What I see offhand is I-70 to I-44 in St Louis, down to I-40 and across, but you might want to take a different route to see other things). Also, having a good idea of how much time you have for the trip will help you plan, as it will take a good 3-1/2 days of just driving to get from Indy to GCNP.

Attractions ... Cadillac Ranch near Amarillo, the Nuclear Museum in Albuquerque, Petrified Forest National Park (and Painted Desert) in AZ, Meteor Crater, Sunset Crater NM, all are somewhere close to I-40. Or you could go through Colorado and catch Rocky Mountain NP, Great Sand Dunes and/or Mesa Verde. See what I mean?

Good places to eat will be later in your planning stages, as you get a more defined route, unless you are the type of person who plans a trip around good eating places.

South of England.

Default Both !

The good thing about doing a round trip is that you can take a different route each way and visit different places. In other words, both Donna's suggestions are viable but as also mentioned, time can be a limiting factor. Lot's to see and do in the Four corners region and I would recommend going through Colorado and into Southern Utah where other parks like Arches, Canyonlands, Zion and Bryce canyon exist.

Dig around the forums and trip planning pages above and when you have a cople of dots on the map and we know more about you like, interests, time available, and anything else you can think of, we can give more meaningful help and fill in the blanks.

Happy planning !!