Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Phoenix to Chicago Speed Run in 2 days... Possible?

I have no experience with a distance quite this long.... 1750ish miles. A few years ago I had been known to go from Phx to San Diego (360ish miles) in far less than 5 hours with no stops so I potentially think I could handle it. I have an iron bladder and will only stop when needed for gas. I plan to cruise at 9 over the speed limit the whole way. I will pack all my snacks and food so no need to stop and eat. I am also not above using a funnel and water bottle trick if the energy drinks reek havoc on my bladder in order to save time. ;-)

Am I crazy to think I could get to Oklahoma City in the first day? 915ish miles? That's only two (15min) stops for gas making 4 chunks of 3ish hours a piece. I'm thinking 13-14 hours total. Totally doable. 7am-9pm. Pass out for 10 hours and start again with the second half leaving only 800 miles in 11-12 hours. I'm not opposed to doing it on a weekend to avoid hitting any sort of rush-hour traffic. Or, if there's too many road closures over the weekends, I'm not against doing it on weekdays either.

Any tips for my crazy endeavor from the experts? Oh and I'll be doing it solo, so any tips for boredom-busters would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance,
    Katy

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm sorry, but no, there is no way you can possibly do this trip safely in two days. Even doing it in 3 days would be pushing the limits of safety.

The travel times you are hoping for are simply not possible in the real world, and there is no way to drive the kinds of distance you are talking about without being a danger to yourself and everyone else on the road. For comparison sake, professional drivers are limited by law to driving about 600 miles in a day.

You simply will not find anyone here who will offer you any tips and suggestions for this trip other than to tell you to reconsider your plans.

Phoenix to San Diego in 5 hours ... I am surprised you didn't run amuck with the AZ Highway Patrol's speed trap in the Wellton area, or the CHiP speed trap just west of the AZ/CA border! We've made that trip for years and years, and never have tried to do it under 6 hours. We just don't like traffic tickets!

I am going to agree with Michael on this one. Three days, MINIMUM, and those are long, long days for a solo driver. It's about 1800 miles, and that would be 3 600-mile days. Overnight at Santa Rosa, NM for the first night (that's just about 600 miles), with the next one between Tulsa and Joplin, MO.

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaR57; 06-03-2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: mileage correction

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaR57 View Post
    Phoenix to San Diego in 5 hours ... I am surprised you didn't run amuck with the AZ Highway Patrol's speed trap in the Wellton area, or the CHiP speed trap just west of the AZ/CA border! We've made that trip for years and years, and never have tried to do it under 6 hours. We just don't like traffic tickets!

I am going to agree with Michael on this one. Three days, MINIMUM, and those are long, long days for a solo driver. It's about 1800 miles, and that would be 3 600-mile days. Overnight at Santa Rosa, NM for the first night (that's just about 600 miles), with the next one between Tulsa and Joplin, MO.

Donna
    5 hours is easy to do at cruising 9 over the speed limit - that is 84 in AZ and 79 once you hit CA border, especially with no stops. I've never been pulled over at only 9 over, passed many speed traps and patrols along the way, they are looking for the crazies going 90+, not me driving safely at 84. ;-)

It's too bad I can't do Phx-Chi in 2 days. I might try it anyway and just plan to stop whenever I need a break, even if I don't get all the way to where I hope. Please continue to give advice, pretend I'm not totally insane and would be doing it the regular way! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by katyrose View Post
    Am I crazy ...
    In one word.... YES!

If you do not have any regard for your own safety and wellbeing, then think of your loved ones, and how they would feel as a result of your irresponsible actions. To think that it is even possible to urinate whilst driving at 9 miles over the speed limit, devies imagination. (You might like to look up the definition of 'limit' in the Websters. And if you don't like that one, try the Oxford.)

All of this is not even considering the condition in which you would arrive in Chicago, for whatever business you have there.

Lifey

I'm sorry, but if you want people to give you advice "as if you were doing it the regular way" the absolute first thing we'd tell you is that priority one is to get there in the first place.

Asking for tips for you to do this trip in 2 days is very similar for asking us how to safely drive drunk - because the effects of driving without rest are very very similar to those of driving while intoxicated, and with very similar fatality rates. I could show you video of people stopped as suspected drunk drivers, who were completely sober, they had just been driving too long.

Your plan to try to do it anyway, and then stop when you feel tired is equally foolish. Put simply, you'd be relying on a sleep-deprived, brain that is no longer functioning well enough to drive, to be functioning well enough to tell you its time to get off the road. By the time you'd think you need to stop, you will have almost certainly been driving for many miles in an unsafe state.

Again, professional drivers are prohibited by law from doing this trip in under three days because the dangers are real. What makes you think that you can do what professionals can not?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I'm sorry, but if you want people to give you advice "as if you were doing it the regular way" the absolute first thing we'd tell you is that priority one is to get there in the first place.

Asking for tips for you to do this trip in 2 days is very similar for asking us how to safely drive drunk - because the effects of driving without rest are very very similar to those of driving while intoxicated, and with very similar fatality rates. I could show you video of people stopped as suspected drunk drivers, who were completely sober, they had just been driving too long.

Your plan to try to do it anyway, and then stop when you feel tired is equally foolish. Put simply, you'd be relying on a sleep-deprived, brain that is no longer functioning well enough to drive, to be functioning well enough to tell you its time to get off the road. By the time you'd think you need to stop, you will have almost certainly been driving for many miles in an unsafe state.

Again, professional drivers are prohibited by law from doing this trip in under three days because the dangers are real. What makes you think that you can do what professionals can not?
    No, no, no. I'm not a total idiot. I've never done this before. The google map math told me I could do it in two days, but I've been reading more and that's not the real world. I'm totally willing to have it take three days. Now please give suggestions as far as route, what to watch out for, what to do to keep entertained! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by katyrose View Post
    ... what to do to keep entertained!
    Have you thought of looking out the window, and taking in / appreciating your surroundings... your environment?

Lifey

The route's you're finding off Google are going to be fine, but you have to rethink how much time things will actually take.

In the real world, you have slow downs, you have traffic, you have construction, you have to eat and get gas. Its great to have this idea that you can only plan to stop "X" number of times and each stop will only take "x" number of minutes, but that's just not what will actually happen. Realistically, in a speed run, with minimal stops and keeping your speed at, or slightly above, the speed limit, you're still not likely to average more than 60 mph.

However, especially since you are a solo traveler, stopping more often is really going to be important. They don't need to be hours long stops, but stopping every few hours just to be able to move and think about something other than driving will be key. That's really the best that can be said about being entertained - what you're planning to do, even over 3 days, is still something you have to treat much like work. Its not to say you can't have a good experience too, and enjoy what you drive by, but speed runs by their very nature are much more about getting a job done.

As far as route is concerned: to do this in 3 days, take I-17 north from Phoenix up to I-40 east. Take I-40 all the way to Oklahoma City, where you catch I-44 through Missouri. Then I-55 from St Louis up to Chicago. Overnights (as I suggested before) at Santa Rosa NM and then someplace between Tulsa OK and Joplin MO.

Boredom busters: when I drive, I prefer my favorite music. Perhaps you want to get an hours-long audio book. (If you don't want to buy one, pick up an audio book at any Cracker Barrel -- there's one in Tempe and another one up in Flagstaff -- and then drop it off at another one when you're done.) Looking out the window and at the road, though, is paramount.

Donna