1. Default Road Trip from central New Jersey to Dallas, Texas

Hi,

My parents and younger brother are planning a trip from central New Jersey to Dallas, Texas. All 3 of them can drive and they want to start early Monday morning and hope to be there by Tuesday night (with a night stop somewhere between). Can someone please suggest the best route? Time is of the essence so I would prefer the fastest route. Also I am thinking Nashville is where they can spend the night but anyone has a better suggestion?

Thanks in advance for any help.

First, you need to realize that by the shortest route, this is about a 1525 mile drive. (I used Trenton as a starting point since you were not specific.) That is EASILY at least a 32 hour trip for most drivers. You definitely would NOT be able to stop overnight someplace and make it. Even though Mapquest and other online sources will tell you that this is a 24 hour trip, electronic maps don't stop to eat, fill the car with gas, go to the bathroom, stop for a stretch (and you WILL need those), get stuck in traffic or get holed up for construction someplace. Three drivers doesn't really help because the sleep you get while curled up in the backseat is not comfortable or very restful!

The best bet is to get started a lot earlier than Monday ... such as on Sunday. Even a few hours driving on Sunday evening will help!

BTW, I say this from experience. When I was in college, I was crazy enough to join with 3 other college students and drove 1500 miles only stopping for the necessities above. When I got in, I was EXHAUSTED. And I was only 18 at the time!

Donna

Default Simply Put: No

It's 1500 miles from central New Jersey to Dallas. That is physically impossible to drive in two days with time out for a decent night's sleep. It doesn't matter how many drivers you have, you still can't (legally) go faster than the speed limit and you can't avoid stops for gas, food, traffic, rest stops. In fact all of those are more frequent and take longer the more people you have. Your family needs to schedule 3 days for this drive

AZBuck

If you absolutely MUST do this in 2 days, you need to look at this as WORK. You will be doing what's called a "speed run" - and here is how you have to do it. It is VERY important to keep 2 people awake and follow the rotation.

I see by one of your previous threads that you are in Edison. The fastest route from there to Dallas is I-287/I-78/I-81/I-40/I-30.

You will need to make an overnight stop around the west side of Knoxville, get off the road for at LEAST 8 hours. Both days, you will probably be on the road for 16 hours.

5. Default Ok then let us do it in 3

Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I guess I can convince them to leave on Sunday morning around 10 AM and have two stop overs to make it there by Tuesday Evening. Can you then suggest for me the best route? And also where the 2 stop overs should be?

Thanks.

Default Route/Timing

The most direct/fastest route is to get on the NJ Turnpike and head down I-95, taking I-495 around DC to the west (Outer Beltway) to I-66 west. Take that to I-81 south and then I-40 west as you near Knoxville. Next up is I-30 out of Little Rock to Dallas. If you can get as far as Roanoke on Sunday, then you would be in good shape to have reasonable drives on the next two days with a second overnight stop around Jackson TN. Depending on how well/poorly you do on Sunday, you can adjust how far you need to get on Day 2.

AZBuck

The route I suggested is only 10 miles longer, and it avoids considerable tolls and the I-95 corridor congestion. I'd try for Wytheville VA and Jackson TN.

8. Default

Actually, I think that the original timing would work, although if you can leave earlier, that would allow you to travel at a more relaxed pace.

My friend and I just traveled about 1500 miles in 2 days. We didn't speed (I can't stand the idea of lowering gas mileage by going higher than the limit). The first day we left around 8:30am. For lunch, we spent half an hour looking for a restaurant that had closed and then decided to get fast food. We had time for a nice sit-down dinner with some very slow waiters and still arrived at our hotel by 10:30pm. In the morning, we slept in as long as we wanted and ate breakfast. We had time to sit down to eat both lunch and dinner at travel plazas and arrived at 11pm. We weren't sleepy while driving and had adequate time for breaks. As I said above, more time would make the trip more relaxed, but it really is possible in two days.