1. Default Seattle to Glacier National Park

We are planning to visit Glacier National Park during first week of July from Seattle. We are group of 4 people and 1 kid (2 years old). I can spend 7 days in this trip.

My itinerary
    a. Start from Seattle in afternoon and stay Coeur D’Alene at night ( 5 hours drive) - day 1
    b. Start from Coeur D’Alene to West Glacier ( 4 hours drive) - Day 2
    c. Spend 2, 3 and 4 night in Glacier National Park
    d. Start from Glacier National Park to Coeur D’Alene - Day 5
    e. Start from Coeur D’Alene to Seattle - Day 6

I am looking for some recommendation and suggestion about my itinerary :

1. what to see along with the drive from Seattle to Glacier.
    2. What need to cover in park with kid.
    3. I will be taking I-90. Any better alternative?
    4. I can also spend one extra day in my trip. What else I can see? I am spending 3 days in park. Is this enough?

Thanks in advance.

I just finished my 3 day trip in Glacier national park (2 adults and 2 kids -10 year old and 7 year old) on my way to Alaska and it is as beautiful as it was last year (i visited same time last year).
    Last year, i had gone from Portland and as far as i remember, i took to Spokane-Kalispell-Park.
    This time i came from Yellow stone side, anyway, here is my suggestion:
    -Glacier park has two main entrance, West glacier park and East glacier park, you will start from west park entrance.
    - Not sure if you are staying in hotel or in RV or in camping, I had my pop up camper, so I stayed in CORAM, MT (5 miles from the west glacier park enterance), the place was NORTH AMERICAN RV PARK-CORAM. If you have no camping, you can still stay in YURTS (check their site, thats my recomendation for stay here)
    -- You will start from the West glacier park enterance,
    -Since you are starting tomorrow, you will miss out drive on logan pass becuase "GOING TO THE SUN ROAD (a top scenic route on park going to glacier) is closed and only open till "Avalanche" from west side,
    --From east side, you will complete the "GOING TO THE SUN ROAD till JACKSON Glacier overlook". Hence, you will miss approc 27 miles of 'going to the sun road becuase of snow", however you will complete approx 28 miles (14 miles each side) of this beautiful road.
    -- From West glacier to east glacier side is a nice 1 day drive which goes thru many snow fillm mountains (must do and take as many pics as you can).
    -From west glacier side, you may come across some black bears (we seen 3 on west side)
    -From East glacier entrance, once you complete the 14 miles drive on going to the sun road, carry on towards "MANY GLACIER" side and this is by far the best road and you may many many grizzly and black bears and mountain goats and dears" (must do)
    -If yo want, you can stay in St. Mary lodge or KOA CABIN.
    -Lastly, as you have mentioned that you can add one more day to your trip, i would recommend to drive to chief mountain roads (26 miles) into Canada and stay in canadian side of glacier park, which is called WATERTON LAKE NATIONAL PARK and you would not be dissappointed.

Here is your ideal trip (in my views)
    Itinerary
    a. Start from Seattle in afternoon and stay Coeur D’Alene at night ( 5 hours drive) - day 1
    b. Start from Coeur D’Alene to West Glacier ( 4 hours drive) - Day 2, stay in hotel or in YURT, your choice
    c. Spend 2, 3 and 4 night in Glacier National Park-
    -1 night in east glacier side (may be a hotel or in nice lake view hotel within the park), 1 night in east glacier side (may be St. Mary Lodge, a great accomodation) and 1 night in waterton lake national park
    d. Start from waterton lake national park to Coeur D’Alene - Day 5
    e. Start from Coeur D’Alene to Seattle - Day 6
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 06-01-2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Removed qoute for easier reading as it's an in-line response.

3. Default

Thanks for your reply. I am considering your option and I will be travelling in first week of July. As I mention that I will be spending three nights in park.

Default Going to the sun road will be open by than

Quote Originally Posted by rjc709 View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I am considering your option and I will be travelling in first week of July. As I mention that I will be spending three nights in park.
    I thought you were driving on 1st week of june. my bad, GOING TO THE SUN ROAD WILL BE OPEN BY THAN.
    In that case, here is what i suggest
    West glacier-Going to the sun road-east glacier (st. mary-many glacier-Waterton lake national park (via chief mountain canada exit)-back to seattle.

rgds