Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Safest route from Dallas to Seattle in June

I am relocating to Seattle in a few weeks and will be driving. I know the OK-KS route is the most boring and would prefer to go through Amarillo-NM, etc but what is the safest way (good roads, not too isolated, etc)? Also, being from the flatlands, I don't want any treacherous mountain driving either.
    If I go through the OK-KS way, which towns are best for stopping for the night if I drive about 8 hours per day? I will have my dog with me so there will be stops.
    Thanks!

Default more than roads

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The reality is that the Interstate Highway System is among the safest set of roads in the world. There are no treacherous mountain roads anywhere on the Interstates (they are designed so fully loaded semi trucks can maintain highway speeds.) and even the most isolated Interstate is traveled by thousands of people every day, where its rare to ever go more than 50 miles without going past a town with all the services a traveler could need.

In reality, making sure your car is in shape, and practicing good habits behind the wheel are all far more important to safety than the choice of route. For that matter, there also aren't any boring routes either!

If you took the most direct route of I-35/I-135/I-70/I-25/I-80/I-84 you'd be looking at stops around Hays KS, Rawlins WY, and Mountain Home ID. Those are all drives of roughly 550 miles, and are towns that will have several choices for lodging. Real world, it would actually be more like 9-10 hours on the road, but still something you could likely do without too much difficulty. If you want to keep yourself to a hard limit of 8 hours, then you'd need to add another overnight stop.

Actually, you can save about 80 miles by taking US-287 out of Dallas to Amarillo, then 287/87/64 to Raton to pick up I-25. Those are all good roads, but not Interstates. Lodging is a bit scarce between Amarillo and Raton, but there are some hotels in Dumas, Dalhart, and possibly Clayton. An alternate to I-80/I-84 would be I-25/I-90 but this adds 50 miles.

4. Default

Thanks for the suggestions! It sounds like it's a 1/2 dozen of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. Is there a way to go to add Glacier NP to the route? If so, how would the roads be this way, cell signal and how much time would this add?
    Since we are driving all of this way, I want to make it fun, but safe also since it will just be me and my dtr. We also are traveling with my 3 dogs!
    Thanks again!

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The reality is that the Interstate Highway System is among the safest set of roads in the world. There are no treacherous mountain roads anywhere on the Interstates (they are designed so fully loaded semi trucks can maintain highway speeds.) and even the most isolated Interstate is traveled by thousands of people every day, where its rare to ever go more than 50 miles without going past a town with all the services a traveler could need.

In reality, making sure your car is in shape, and practicing good habits behind the wheel are all far more important to safety than the choice of route. For that matter, there also aren't any boring routes either!

If you took the most direct route of I-35/I-135/I-70/I-25/I-80/I-84 you'd be looking at stops around Hays KS, Rawlins WY, and Mountain Home ID. Those are all drives of roughly 550 miles, and are towns that will have several choices for lodging. Real world, it would actually be more like 9-10 hours on the road, but still something you could likely do without too much difficulty. If you want to keep yourself to a hard limit of 8 hours, then you'd need to add another overnight stop.
    Now that my daughter is going to help drive, we can do more than 8 hrs, more like 9-10, but I have 3 dogs as well going. With overnight stops and "potty breaks" for all, how long should either of these routes take? Thanks!

Default 4 x 10 hour days.

As Michael indicated and laid out the stops for you. You are looking at 4 days of travelling for around 9 to 10 hours a day with appropriate stops for food, rest, potty breaks and gas etc. The 287 route is shorter in miles, but will take about the same amount of time.

How long are you planning to take to do this trip ? I see on another post you are talking about the possibility of going to Arches and Yellowstone ?

Quote Originally Posted by juliana25 View Post
    Is there a way to go to add Glacier NP to the route? If so, how would the roads be this way, cell signal and how much time would this add?
    There's always a way to add a place you want to go - that's what makes a roadtrip different from almost any way to travel.

If you want to go to Glacier, then you'd want to stick on I-25 north all the way up to Montana and then work up to the park. The trip is still mostly on the interstates, and typically cell signals are fairly strong there. Inside the national park, signals will likely be spotty.

Glacier only adds a couple hundred miles, to your overall trip, but it would mean at least another day for your trip. Also keep in mind that most Glacier, and most other national parks are very restrictive on where you can bring pets.

If you want to go to Glacier, plan on 5 days and do this:

Start off by following Michael's suggestions - 1st night in Hays. Then, instead of taking I-80, stay on I-25 and spend the second night in Casper. Take I-90 and spend the 3rd night in Missoula.

Head up to the park on US-93 through Kalispell and US-2 through Columbia Falls. Go in the west entrance and work your way through the park on the Going to the Sun Road. Leave by the St. Mary entrance and take US-89 south to MT-49 to US-2. Take that west back to Kalispell and spend the night. For planning purposes, it's about 3 hours from Missoula to the west entrance and the same from the St. Mary entrance to Kalispell. From entrance to exit, it's 50 miles across the GTSR, which is 2 hours plus stops.

You can make it to Seattle in 1 day from Kalispell, and I recommend this route - take US-93 back south to MT-28 to MT-382 to MT-200 to MT-135 to I-90.

TIP: To save time and avoid traffic hassles in Denver, you can take the E-470 tollway, the toll is $9.45, and you will receive a bill in the mail. It takes a picture of your license plate.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    As Michael indicated and laid out the stops for you. You are looking at 4 days of travelling for around 9 to 10 hours a day with appropriate stops for food, rest, potty breaks and gas etc. The 287 route is shorter in miles, but will take about the same amount of time.

How long are you planning to take to do this trip ? I see on another post you are talking about the possibility of going to Arches and Yellowstone ?
    I would like to see Glacier, but I can't leave Dallas before 6/15 and need to be in Seattle on the 19th so I am now realizing that there probably won't be enough time to fit that in to be worthwhile.

10. Default

I want to thank all of you for your extremely helpful info.
    Still haven't decided whether to go through the Midwest or NM route, it sounds like a toss up!
    I will save Glacier for next summer from Seattle, when I will have time to spend a few days.