Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chicago to LA

1. Default Chicago to LA

Any absolute must see or eats on this route?...Going in a week with the kids to Disney...coming back thru Grand Canyon...
    Last edited by tikijoe67; 05-29-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: added return route

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There are about a million and a half things that could be considered must sees, but that depends upon what kinds of things you are interested in and how much time you've got.

The more you tell us about you and your trip, the more we can help, but you just haven't given us much to work with here.

On the way out, the Lincoln sites in Springfield are very nice - especially the new museum. If you come through St. Louis, the Arch is a great stop the kids would enjoy. If you have time, be sure and watch the movie about the construction of the Arch - it is truly an amazing feat of engineering. St. Louis also has a great zoo and it's free! In Stanton, Missouri, the kids might enjoy a stop at Meramec Caverns. In Albuquerque, the kids might enjoy taking the tram to the summit of Sandia Peak if they are not afraid of heights - if they are, FORGET IT! Sedona, Arizona is a beautiful place to visit and the kids would get a real kick out of a stop at Slide Rock State Park where they can slide down very smooth rocks in the stream that runs through the Park. Watch the video in the web-site and you will see what I mean. You would pass Slide Rock on the way down to Sedona from Flagstaff.

Coming back, there is a whole world of possibilities in Utah and Colorado. I'm a great fan of southern Utah with Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands and Capitol Reef National Parks as well as Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park, Dead Horse Point State Park and Goosenecks State Park. I know of no other place in the country where you can see so much in a comparatively small area and in not a great deal of time. In Colorado, Mesa Verde National Park is nice and the kids would get a real kick out of a stop at Great Sand Dunes National Park. Rocky Mountain National Park is also very nice and Estes Park is a fun place to spend a night. Colorado Springs is a wonderful place to spend a few days. From there, you can visit Pike's Peak, The Garden Of The Gods, Cheyenne Mountain, Cheyenne Canyon, The Air Force Academy and Cripple Creek where the kids could pan for gold.

How much time do you have?
    Last edited by Charlie H; 05-29-2012 at 08:46 PM.

It just occurred to me that you may be doing Disney in California rather than Florida because of the opening of the new Pixar Cars park. If that's the case and your kids are Cars fans, you will be in the Route 66 corridor all the way from Chicago to LA. I'm sure the kids would get a kick out of spending a night at The Wig Wam Motel in Holbrook, AZ. There is also one in San Bernardino, CA San Bernardino, CA. You could also visit Tow-Mater who lives at a gas station in Galena, KS called 4 Women On The Route.
    Last edited by Charlie H; 05-29-2012 at 08:50 PM.

5. Default

Thanks for ideas....and yes, we are going to the california Disney.

6. Default

We've got 4 days max to California and 5 days back. I'm going to check out your suggestions...thank you.

7. Default

I'm getting great suggestions...really looking forward to checking some of these out.

I fixed the links in my two posts above and they should work now.

Have A Great Trip!!

Southern California

Chicago to LA is going to be a 4-day trip out, going between 450 to 600 miles per day. So you probably won't have time to do a lot of stuff on the way out.

Joplin MO

Another quick stop along old 66 (I-40) would be Winslow AZ, where you can go "stand on the corner".

I was just over at the gas station in Galena a couple weeks ago, where they were getting ready for the summer travel season. It's well worth a quick stop, and even if they are not open (I think 10am-3pm) you can at least see the old truck. If they are open, go in and get the quick "speech" and leave a donation.