1. Default NY to Portland OR!!

Hey again. Last winter I drove from NY - Portland, OR in 7 days taking the I-90 Route. Im flying back to NY in june and my girlfriend and I will be driving her car over here. Looking for some advice again :)

I really enjoyed the I-90 Route and I think thats the way I wanna go again. This time I only have 6 days but driving 10-13ish hours a day is fine. I want to stop at some cool sights and wondering if anyone has any good ideas on some scenic highways / sights to take my girlfriend that arent too far out of the way.

On my December roadtrip I stopped at a few places like Mount Rushmore, did some hiking in the Badlands, saw Devils tower, and went to some hot springs in Bozeman MT. Im probably gonna go back to the Badlands but I deffinitly want to stop in Yellowstone for at least half a day. Whats the best route this time of the year to take to yellowstone thats kinda sorta in the direction that im going?

Any other cool ideas for my trip? Also...were thinking of sleeping in the car at night and showering at truck stops most of the trip to save money. Good or bad idea?

Thanks for the help guys!
    Last edited by uscg90; 05-29-2012 at 06:52 PM.

If you want to change things up just a bit, you could look at taking I-94 instead of I-90 across Minnesota and the Dakotas. That would take you through Minneapolis and right past Teddy Roosevelt NP and the rest of the northern badlands (which are similar, but still different than those at Badlands NP). You could then drive into Yellowstone via the Beartooth Highway.

Keep in mind that Yellowstone is a huge huge place, and a half day is quite literally barely enough time even to drive through the park. Frankly, I think 2 full days is the bare minimum to just see the high points, so on your schedule you're really just going to be able to pick one place - be it Old Faithful, Mammoth Hot Springs, Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, etc - and take a quick peek. With 6 days, you just don't have much extra time to spare, and if you can find a couple extra days I'd strongly recommend it.

I do not consider sleeping in the car a viable option for a 2 person trip. There's hardly any cars where a solo traveler has enough room to get any real rest, and practically no options where there's enough room for 2. Not to mention, there's very much something to be said about having a place to be outside of a car to relax after a 10+ hour day on the road. Truck Stop showers are also going to cost you about $10 each, so you're not even saving that much vs. a cheap hotel.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    If you want to change things up just a bit, you could look at taking I-94 instead of I-90 across Minnesota and the Dakotas. That would take you through Minneapolis and right past Teddy Roosevelt NP and the rest of the northern badlands (which are similar, but still different than those at Badlands NP). You could then drive into Yellowstone via the Beartooth Highway.

Keep in mind that Yellowstone is a huge huge place, and a half day is quite literally barely enough time even to drive through the park. Frankly, I think 2 full days is the bare minimum to just see the high points, so on your schedule you're really just going to be able to pick one place - be it Old Faithful, Mammoth Hot Springs, Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, etc - and take a quick peek. With 6 days, you just don't have much extra time to spare, and if you can find a couple extra days I'd strongly recommend it.

I do not consider sleeping in the car a viable option for a 2 person trip. There's hardly any cars where a solo traveler has enough room to get any real rest, and practically no options where there's enough room for 2. Not to mention, there's very much something to be said about having a place to be outside of a car to relax after a 10+ hour day on the road. Truck Stop showers are also going to cost you about $10 each, so you're not even saving that much vs. a cheap hotel.
    I was thinking of veering off to US-16 in Wyoming and heading west to Old Faithful then taking US-191 back up to Bozeman / I-90. Is US-16 worth traveling on? (This route for example - http://mapq.st/L3gazt)

But yeah I figured yellowstone was wayy to big to see in just half a day, I guess ill be somewhat close to it in Portland that I can just get a tease of it for now then always head back to really explore the area.

I think your right about the car sleeping though....maybe we'll try it out for one night but I bet we'll end up in some cheap hotels like you said.

Thanks for the help!

Default Another thought.

You could come off I-90 just north of Sheridan WY, and take 14 and Alt14 through the Big Horn National Forest and over the plateau. There is an abundance of wildlife up there, incredibly scenic and you have the Medicine Wheel and Bighorn Canyon to go for short walks. You could then follow through Lovell and Bridger back to I-90, or continue on to Cody and drive through Yellowstone. I would have to agree with Michael though, that it takes the best part of half a day, just to drive through the park.

Lifey

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    You could come off I-90 just north of Sheridan WY, and take 14 and Alt14 through the Big Horn National Forest and over the plateau. There is an abundance of wildlife up there, incredibly scenic and you have the Medicine Wheel and Bighorn Canyon to go for short walks. You could then follow through Lovell and Bridger back to I-90, or continue on to Cody and drive through Yellowstone. I would have to agree with Michael though, that it takes the best part of half a day, just to drive through the park.

Lifey

Good idea, 14 seems like it has some amazing views im gonna do that. Thanks for the help everybody :)

Default Take the most scenic.

There are two roads... 14 and Alt14. I highly recommend that you take Alt14. It is a magnificent drive.

Lifey

7. Default

I'm also considering driving this route, but I'm wondering if 7 days was enough? or is it very intensive?

7 Days is not what I would call too intensive, but I'd also say its not much time if you want to do much exploring.

It basically require 5 pretty hard days of driving (10-12 hours a day), if you stick to the interstates, so there's time for a couple of detours, but not really time to do anything but scratch the surface of any area.