1. Default San Francisco to Grand and back - 5 days

Would love some help in planning this trip. Any advice on routes, where to camp, what to visit. length of drives? We are fully equipped for camping for 2-3 days.

Green County, Wisconsin

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I'm going to guess that by "Grand" you mean Grand Canyon, and not Grand Tetons or any of the many other places that start with that word.

The basic loop - which would be a bit rushed with just 5 days - would be to go through Yosemite, Death Valley, and Vegas one way, and then shoot straight over to the coast and do that the other direction. However, with 5 days, and assuming you're from SF, I'd probably skip the coast for another trip, and shoot right back up I-5.

This kind of loop is the most discussed basic trip idea on the forum, so spend a little time looking around - here's a good place to start.

South of England.

Default Agreed.

If indeed it is the Grand canyon then you can't beat camping in the NP. You don't say when you are travelling but you would need to check availabilty and try and book in advance.

I agree with Michael, the coast is not really possible if you want to spend some time enjoying the canyon. Driving over Tioga pass in Yosemite [CA120] and down 395 and perhaps across Death Valley to GC would be very scenic but with only short stops to take in the views, a 2 day drive. You would really need to get as far as Lone Pine on day 1 and although you could stay in DV, it will be extremely hot !

A day and a half at the canyon and then head towards Barstow [maybe camp near Lake Havasu] before the long drive home via Interstate.