Default LA - San Fran - Vegas and everything in between!

Hi All,

Hoping you can give a novice US Roadtripper a bit of advice on the best ways to tackle things.

Myself and 2 gfs are coming to the US in November and we want to do a bit of driving to see some of your amazing sights.

The plan - my friends fly into LA on Thurs 8th November. I will already be in Seattle so I can fly to wherever I need to start the driving journey. We went to spend at least 4 or 5 day in San Fran and we need to be in Las Vegas by Fri 16th.

I had originally thought of meeting them in LA and driving (over 2 days to San Fran). Then taking 2 days to drive from San Fran to Las Vegas the following week. Having a read through a lot of the posts it seems that if we were to do that we'd be covering a lot of ground we'd already covered.

Any recommendations?? I've been told we absolutely must go to Yosemite - will it be too cold then?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give :)

Briony.

Welcome aboard RTA!

IMHO, it's never too cold to see Yosemite. It's beautiful at any time of the year. You may have to check a day or so ahead of time, to make sure that the valley isn't expecting a blizzard on the day you're expecting to arrive. Whether you would get to experience the Tuolumne area and Tioga Pass is also a question. This year the Pass was open very late and then opened again very early, but it's rare for that to happen two years in a row!

In reading your post, it's unclear whether this is a one-way trip or a loop trip. Offering suggestions would be easier if we knew.

Donna

Thanks Donna. We plan to fly back from Las Vegas to LA ahead of our flight home to Australia.

My thoughts are either

Drive LA to San Fran, spend a few days in San Fran then drive to Las Vegas.

Or would it be better to:

Fly to San Fran, Spend a few days there and then drive to Las Vegas via places like Monterrery, Carmel, Big Sur, Hearst Castle, Yosemite etc...

Thanks!

Of those 2 options, it would make far more sense to drive the whole thing. By flying to San Francisco, you'd basically end up backtracking most of the way to LA to see the sites along the coast, and then doubling back north to get to Yosemite.

Thanks MM - any suggestions of where to stop on a 2 day trip for each leg would be most appreciated too :)

Default Close the loop.

Yosemite is an amazing place and if you decide to go there then a 'loop' trip makes the most sense for me, starting and finishing in LA. Unless that is, if when you fly back to LA you are connecting with the flight home. If you are spending another night or 2 in LA, then by the time you have got in and out of each airport with check in times and getting to a hotel etc, you won't save a lot of time over driving.

As you say you "need to be in Vegas on the 16th" I guess reversing your route wouldn't be an option. If it were and you went to LV first, you could then drive across Death Valley to Yosemite [hopefully the Tioga Pass [CA120] will be open] to SF. The main advantage of this would be that when heading south to LA, the ocean will be on your side of the road. Not a deal breaker by any means, so if your date in Vegas is fixed just reverse the order and drive to Yosemite to Las Vegas.

With a 2 day trip between LA and SF [or vice versa] the Cambria area makes a good stop over point. With a 2 day drive between SF and LV you would be looking at between Bishop and Lee Vining if Tioga were open or if not Oakhurst after visiting Yosemite and then on to Vegas. To include Death valley this way would make for long days. Personally, either way I would opt for 2 nights [2.5/3days] for this leg of the trip and enjoy some of natures finest offerings !