1. Default I 80-90 Indiana toll road truck stops

Hi,

Is anyone familiar with the truck stops along this route - preferably around South Bend? What we're looking for is an old-fashioned truck stop - the kind that has chicken fried steak and strong coffee, not the type that has Taco Bells and Arby's.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome aboard RTA!

I know what you mean ... so many times, you come up to a truck stop and the restaurant is probably fast-food, or one of the normal "truck stop chains" such as Iron Skillet (Petro), Denny's, or similar. It's been a very long time since I have seen an independently owned truck stop cafe or restaurant.

On toll roads, hubby (ex-long-distance trucker) says that they're unheard of. Something about regulations for what can be in toll road service plazas.

Donna

Donna is certainly correct that when you are on the Toll Roads, you're pretty much only going to see the major chains, because the stops are all service plazas where the state/tollway contracts out to the highest bidders. You'll get a couple of truck stops still located right off exit ramps, but between the more limited number of exits and the hassle of paying to get on/off (at least before transponders like ezpass were common place) there's just not many of them.

I do know there is a cluster of Truck Stops right at the intersection of I-80 and I-69 in Eastern Indiana. I don't recall if any where non-chains, but I'd say that would be your best bet.

The toll road service plazas used to have real restaurants in years past - which became steam table cafeterias - then they all sold out to fast food, today they look like the food court in a mall.

If you are looking for chicken fried steak and strong coffee, you may have better luck looking for little mom and pop diners off the highway away from large cities.

Hubby says to get off the major highways to find those kinds of diners.

Donna

Default v

Unfortunately, it's not only the toll road service plazas which have adopted the 'food court' approach to serving food, even some of the old reliable truck stops such as Pilot and Flying J (now a single company) have set up there non-tollroad locations to use this same scheme. I did manage to find a single old style truck stop that meets your criteria: Yoder's in Elkhart.

AZBuck

Most Flying J's now have a Denny's. Petro generally has an Iron Skillet. Pilot and Love's are mostly franchise fast food. TA has restaurants.

8. Default

Yoder's it shall be!

I just wanted to say thanks for all of the great info in this thread. I'm a librarian and have to say this is a terrific resource!

Thanks again!