1. Default Sacramento To Portland

I'm planning on taking a road trip from Sacramento to Portland. I have 6 days. I'm planning on driving to Cresent City, CA and staying there for a day. Then drive to Coos Bay the next. From Coos Bay I plan to drive to Portland and stay 2 days then drive to Medford to stay the night. From Medford I'll drive back to Sacramento.

Using google maps this appears to be doable. Does this sound right? I'm open to changes in places to go and stay.

What are some of the things I should do or look for? I'll have 3 other people with me. Besides sight seeing I like to fish. I would also be up for things like a balloon ride, flying or anything fun and unusual. Since I'm the driver, its my car and I'm putting up most of the money, I have the most say in what we do.

Default Beyond destinations

Welcome to the RTA forum!

I think your plan as far as destinations and how you've spaced things out looks reasonable. I've spent very little time with those specific destinations, so I can't offer much for ideas of things to do.

I will give you a big word of caution about your last statement. It sounds like you have a recipe for one of the most common ways to ruin both a roadtrip and a friendship.

If you are treating this as your trip, and the rest of your group is just going along for the ride and doing what you want to do, it can quickly lead to hurt feelings, and things spiral from there. Its your money so you should have the most say is a very logical statement, but after you've been together in a car with your friends for 4-5 days that kind of logic can quickly go out the window. They might want to do things you don't, and then either they'll be angry because their opinions don't matter or you'll be angry because you'll be using your money for things they want to do.

Things don't have to be perfectly equal, but I'd highly recommend that you start this trip from a place where you are all similarly invested and can all depart on this trip as equals. If your friends can't or don't want to put up similar amounts of money, then you should think long and hard about if you really want to go on the trip together. If you do decide to move forward with inequal amounts of funds, then I'd highly recommend you treat any extra money you spend as a gift for your friends, and not use it as a trump card to get your way.

3. Default

I understand the comment on my last statement. I should have clarified. My aunt, niece and nephew will be with me. My niece and nephew are 19 and 16 and are broke. They are visiting from the Midwest and dying to see someplace different. They've been to California before.

My aunt is very flexible and pretty much said I should do as I want. She and the kids can do their thing if they need to, but honestly my niece and nephew will be more than happy to go fishing, flying or do something crazy and fun...so long as uncle is paying!!!

My aunt hates heights, but is more than happy to just hang out and let the rest of us get "stupid"
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 05-22-2012 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Removed in line quote.

Stuff to do in the Gold Beach area (between Crescent City and Coos Bay):

Fishing on the Rogue (check to see what's in season).
    Jet boat ride on the Rogue.

5. Default

Crater Lake National Park?

6. Default

Hi Scott,
    I want to suggest you consider driving the return trip on Hwy 58 to 97 between Portland and Klamath Falls. I have driven this many times. It is beautiful, especially the area around Willamette Pass. Portland to Klamath Falls is 5 hours without stops. Medford is 74 miles west of K. Falls but you can stay on 97 until it connects with Hwy 5 south of Mt Shasta.

Whatever your route, this will be a beautiful trip,

QM

7. Default

Thanks for the great suggestions. The jet boat looks like a lot of fun and is reasonably priced. I would like to see Crater Lake and will see if I can fit that in.

I'll also look at Hwy 58 to 97.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_49 View Post
    I'm planning on taking a road trip from Sacramento to Portland. I have 6 days. I'm planning on driving to Cresent City, CA and staying there for a day. Then drive to Coos Bay the next. From Coos Bay I plan to drive to Portland and stay 2 days then drive to Medford to stay the night. From Medford I'll drive back to Sacramento.
    It's doable, but faster than I would like to do it. This, more or less, was the route my wife and I did for our honeymoon (married in Tahoe -> Ashland for a few days at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival -> Bandon (via Crescent City) -> up the coast to Tillamook -> Portland.

What are some of the things I should do or look for? I'll have 3 other people with me. Besides sight seeing I like to fish. I would also be up for things like a balloon ride, flying or anything fun and unusual. Since I'm the driver, its my car and I'm putting up most of the money, I have the most say in what we do.
    We really liked the dunes just outside Florence and just meandering along the coast. We also spent half a day at Powell's in Portland, but my wife and I are huge bibliophiles.