Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 7 Day New England Road Trip

Hi, we are planning a 7 day road trip to see the New England area in early Oct. I know 7 days isn't nearly enough but unfortunately that's all we can do. We are not that familiar with this part of the region and would like any help or suggestions regarding what to see, routes, or even setting up an itinerary. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh..we will be flying from Seattle and we're thinking that Boston would be the best starting point unless anyone out there has some other ideas. Thank you!!

Default To Get You Started

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

New England is compact enough that wherever you can fly into cheaply, even New York City, will work just fine as a start/end point for a week long RoadTrip through the region. So besides the major airports such as Boston and New York, look at the regional airports such as Providence, Hartford, Burlington, or even Plattsburg NY that are served by some of the lower cost airlines.

'Early October' is getting on towards the height of leaf-peeping season, and so accommodations might be expensive and hard to come by, so start making your plans and reservations early, especially if you plan to be on the road over the Columbus Day weekend. As to what to see, and some ideas for building an itinerary, take a read through the discussions linked to here.

AZBuck
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-22-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Default Plenty of time

Actually, 7 days will get you a good sense of the entire region. You can spend a couple of days along the coast, and a couple of days inland. Travel distances are generally short - in comparison to the rest of the United States - that you could even do both in a single day. You could even spend one day in each of the states, doing a counter-clockwise loop tour.

Default Massachusetts, New Hampshire & Maine in 7 days - Help!

My friend and I are going to fly to Boston the first week of Oct. We'll be renting a car and visiting the 3 states mentioned above. We are completely unfamilar with the area and would like some help in coming up with a route. Any suggestions??

Thx!

Please do not start multiple discussions for the same trip.

Mod
    Last edited by AZBuck; 05-22-2012 at 07:16 PM.

I'm sorry. I was actually trying to delete my original post because we decided to just to visit the 3 states rather trying to see several in a 7 day period. I could not see how to delete it which is why I posted another question.

Default You Still Haven't Told Anybody...

...what it is you're looking for. There is no single 'best' route or set of 'must sees' in New England in general, in the three states you'll now be visiting in particular, or anywhere else for that matter. There are only the attractions that appeal to you and your friend. So, what do you hope to get out of this trip? Why did you pick New England? What are your interests? Why have you now narrowed the extent of your trip, and why to those three states rather than any others you could have chosen? How much time do you want to spend driving vs. actually doing and seeing things? What kinds of things? Answers to all of those questions (and more) would help people give you advice that you could actually use rather than just throwing out generic possibilities which might accomplish nothing more than wasting your time.

AZBuck

Lots of questions which I will try to answer. The reason we want to visit New England is because that is the only part of the U.S. that we haven't seen. We are both big nature lovers and also enjoy historical points of interest. My friend, in particular, wants to see the fall foilage. Unfortunately she is not as mobile as she use to be...anotherwords no hiking for her. The reason we pick these three states is that we didn't want to have to stay in a different hotel every night. We definitely want to spend at least 2 full days in MA because of all history the state has to offer. So I guess in essence, we would a trip that provided scenic and historical destinations. Of course we enjoy visiting some of the small towns. And we must have our lobster :)

8. Default

Well there's lots to do in Boston and MA. Strawberry Banke is a "living history" area in Portsmouth, NH, which does involve a few blocks of walking. Acadia National Park (Maine) is quite accessible by car and bike. Sorry but I can't help with fall foliage suggestions.

Default Great!

OK, now we can get specific. As CAnative pointed out, Portsmouth's Strawbery Banke is a living history museum that sounds like it's right up your alley. You can take it at your own pace, and they strive to make it accessible to all. There are also two great old traditional lobster pounds that I would recommend, the first is just across the river (actually halfway across) on an island in Kittery ME: Warren's, with great views of the Piscataquis River and the tugs. lobster boats, and the occasional nuclear submarine. The other would be just to the north of Portsmouth in Dover NH: Newick's, which has views of Great Bay, a salt water estuary. Warren's is slightly more upscale, Newick's slightly more traditional 'family style'. Another possible diversion in the Portsmouth area is the Nubble in York ME

After your time in Portsmouth, I would suggest that you consider heading north on NH-16 and making your base of operations for the next few days somewhere around Wolfboro or Ossipee in NH, or Limerick in ME. This will put a lot of the best scenery within an easy day's drive of your temporary 'home', including the Kancamagus Highway, Lake Winnipesaukee, and Portland. After a few days operating from this base, you would then just make the two hour drive back to Boston for your return flight.

AZBuck

Thank you for the information. I checked it out and it all sounds very interesting...something we would enjoy. I passed it on to my friend to see what she thinks.
    I really wanted to go to Acadia Nat'l Park in Maine. I am very athletic so have no problems getting around but my friend can only handle walks...and not very long ones at that. Do you think it would be unwise to visit it?