1. Default Denver to Orlando

Hi All,

My 3 daughters and I will be driving from Denver to Orlando. We are planning on 3 days out and 3-4 days back. We have 3 drivers. Need some advice on sites to see, places to eat and dangers that we should be aware of as we are 4 females traveling alone. My youngest is 6, so we need things to burn some energy and break up the car ride. Any advice is appreciated. On the way home, we would like to see New Orleans and San Antonio, TX. We can add time to the end of our trip but aren't able to add any to the beginning, we only have 3 days to arrive in Orlando, although we can leave super early, but just want to do the trip safely and have fun. Again, thanks for reading and providing any advice!!

Welcome to RTA!

Bear in mind that it is more than 1800 miles from Denver to Orlando -- via I-70 to I-75. It will be about 620 miles each day, three days in a row. Even with three drivers, you will be pretty tired when you get there.

Use your best judgment about your surroundings -- keep your possessions tight when walking, and don't stay anywhere if it doesn't feel right. Use common sense!

You will have to make time in those long days for letting the kids run, especially the 6 year old. Some rest areas can be used. Ours used to do fine as long as we promised them a swimming pool and/or a playground at a motel! And of course, bring along several great stationary things to do like small toys.

You might need to add time to get back if you want to see anything. Going the other way through New Orleans will add another couple of hundred miles to your trip, which means 4 days on the road without stops.

Donna

If you have to get there in 3 days, this is work, not an enjoyable trip. You will be on the road for about 12 hours each day. Fastest route is I-70/I-64/I-57/I-24/I-75/FL Turnpike. Plan on overnights between KC and Columbia, and around Chattanooga. All you are going to have time for is short breaks in the Interstate rest areas.

On the way back, if you want to see New Orleans and San Antonio, it will be 4 just as long days, with overnights in NO, San Antonio, and Amarillo. So, you need 6 days to spend a day in each of those 2 cities, or even start to make the trip enjoyable.

4. Default

Hi All,

My 3 daughters and I will be driving from Denver to Orlando. We are planning on 3 days out and 3-4 days back. We have 3 drivers. Need some advice on sites to see, places to eat and dangers that we should be aware of as we are 4 females traveling alone. My youngest is 6, so we need things to burn some energy and break up the car ride. Any advice is appreciated. On the way home, we would like to see New Orleans and San Antonio, TX. We can add time to the end of our trip but aren't able to add any to the beginning, we only have 3 days to arrive in Orlando, although we can leave super early, but just want to do the trip safely and have fun. Again, thanks for reading and providing any advice!! I said 3 days by mistake, we are leaving Tuesday morning and hope to arrive Friday. So what would be the best places to stop for the 3 nights?

Taking the fastest route and breaking it into 4 equal segments, the overnights would be Manhattan KS, Carbondale IL, and Atlanta. Whether you take this exact route or not is totally up to you. You should get out a good map of the US - such as a Rand McNally Road Atlas - and see if there's anything in particular you want to see between Denver and Orlando other than what you already want to do on the way home.

One thing that stands out to me along the fastest route is St. Louis - you could spend some time there and go up in the Gateway Arch. If you spent a night there, that wouldn't put you behind schedule much at all - it's only a couple hours from there to Carbondale. You could give yourselves more time in STL if you drove past Manhattan the first day and at least get past KC.

Tip: When staying near a big city, try to stay someplace after you go through the city - that will keep you from getting tangled in the morning rush hour when you leave. You would be going against the commuting traffic. There are usually plenty of hotels out in the suburbs along the Interstates. An example east of KC is Blue Springs, east of STL is O'Fallon IL, and south of Atlanta is Morrow.

6. Default

Thanks so much, that is great advice!! Thanks for taking the time to reply.